Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Counting technique
    I found that a circle placed in a rectangle can be shaded in 4 different ways. First, don't shade anything. Second, shading the circle only. Third, shading the rectangle only. Fourth, shading both the circle and rectangle.
    The question is: Find the number of shadings possible for 2 circles in a rectangle in both situations: they don't overlap and overlap.
    I found that 2 circles in a rectangle can be shaded in 24 different ways in both cases. I'd like to ask that can I use counting technique to solve this problem? If I can, can you show me how to use counting technique to solve this? Thank you very much.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
    For the case of two circles in a rectangle with no overlap between the circles - I count only 8 ways to shade them, not 24. Please show how you got 24.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Painting technique [ 2 Answers ]

I am painting the wall in my livingroom and would like that sort of streaked mexican unfinished look. How do I do this?

35 weeks and counting [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all it's me Jnet29 I have a question, for the last week I have been having headaches, nausea and I have been seeing spots for two days and my back have been killing me and I'm going to the bathroom like crazy can anyone tell me what's going on?

Counting to a million [ 1 Answers ]

How long would it take an average person to count to one million if they had 8 hours a day to do the counting.

Calorie counting [ 1 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but you won't know unless you ask,too count calories do you add up calories+calories from fat+carbs+sodium... this always puzzled me.Or do you add everything that stores fat from the nutrient fact chart?

34 weeks and counting [ 7 Answers ]

Well the dr said that he wants me to wait till Friday before going into labor. He also wrote a perscription to help make that possible. The babies are 4lbs 4oz and doing great. I have an appointment next week, he said if I make it that long. I am one and a half cm dialated and measuring full term...

View more questions Search