Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techboy Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2005, 06:59 PM
    Need some help with venting, moving toilet adding bath
    I am moving my toilet to the other side of the bathroom, and adding a tub. My bathroom is very small 5' X 7' and I only have one existing vent. The vent is 2" in the wall and is 3" coming out of the roof. Anyway, I was wondering if this piping plan would work, or if someone has a better way to do it, I would sure appreciate some help.

I did submit the question before, but that was before I opened up the wall and found the vent in a different place.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2005, 04:07 AM
    That's the way I'd lay it out. The tub/shower will be wetvented by the lavatory vent. I would make the 3"elbo a sweep, (long or short) to reduce any chance of clogging. Nice layout in a small space. Good thinking! Tom

Oct 2, 2005, 05:49 AM
    Thanks for the tip (especialy about the sweep thing! )

Oct 2, 2005, 03:57 PM
    I had to change my plan becase the sink drain was not in a good position to attach to the toilet elbow. Here is my new plan, see any problems I want to glue this up tomorrow so any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images

theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 02:52 AM
    Do you live in canada? That 3" coming out of the roof sounds like you're in a region with a colder climate in the winter prone to frost. It looks like you have your toilet at the top of the stack which really isn't the best way to do it id think, if you could draw a plan view (above view) of your washroom with fixtures and dimensions I could get a better idea of what you're up against

Oct 3, 2005, 03:13 AM
    with a 5' x 7' washroom id say no matter what configuration you choose, stack venting would probably be the best way to do it (the first way you had it drawn), just make sure your toilet is downstream of everything else and no furthur than 5' from the vent (the change from horizontal to vertical) and the same goes for the tub

Oct 3, 2005, 04:48 AM
    The reason I am unable to do it the way I drew it first is that I have to go across floor joist to get to the toilet drain from the sink, which means I have to across floor joist from my shower. Now I have to lower my toilet connection to get the water going downhill, and my toilet is at the end of a long run. So is everyone saying that my second picture is not advisable? Thanks all for your help, it's great having a resource like this to depend on!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2005, 06:46 AM
    I'm not saying it won't work but I'm not comfortable with all the elbows being used and the size of the tub drain. It should be 2 inches. I hope you'll use 45's and sweep elbos to make your turns.
    On another note I don't understand Big Kills post;

" do you live in canada? that 3" coming out of the roof sounds like you're in a region with a colder climate in the winter prone to frost. It looks like you have your toilet at the top of the stack which really isn't the best way to do it id think."

Number one, the vent's 2" not three and two, Big kill must live in a warm climate or he'd realize that toilets don't freeze up just because they're on the high end of a vent stack.
    The sewer gas being exhausted is warm and lighter then air so it will raise
    And not allow freezing temperatures to venture into the house. And why just the concern with a toilet? The lavatory trap is much closer to the vent then the toilet is. But I don't think you have to worry about either one.
    Cheers, Tom

Oct 3, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure that when I put it all together that It has adequate venting. And when I flush the toilet it won't fill the tub. This is the second bathroom that will not get used much, as far as location, I live in Buffalo and it does get pretty cold here.

As far as the vent goes, I was wondering why it came out of the roof 3" and was 2" in the wall.

Oct 3, 2005, 06:49 PM
    It comes out of the roof 3" because of the possibility that the vent may be constricted during cold weather due to frost, snow, ice... thats why I was curious as to whether you live in canada for plumbing code reasons

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bath [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a small bath (shower, sink, toilet) in a 2nd floor gameroom. There is a closet it can be built into but there is no plumbing nearby to connect to. Closet is on inclosed garage room wall. How does one go about this and what is an estimated cost. Thanks to all who help me out. KiKi

Basement bath venting [ 5 Answers ]

House in Maryland is two years old with basement bath rough-in installed during construction. Plumber came in to install water piping and drains for sink and laundry tub which looks fine besides the fact nothing is vented. He is telling me that all the drains are connected to the venting system...

Moving a toilet and adding a sink [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 150 year old house so there are several unusual features. I want to move a toilet that is on a 3 inch copper line 6 feet away from the 3 inch copper drain stack. It is currently 2 feet away. The vent at the main stack is 2 inches and it is at a 90 degree angle to...

Adding new bath to concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We just purchased a home in L.A. built in the 60s that has a concrete slab construction. We want to add on a master bath to the house but I don't know how we would tie into the plumbing lines in this kind of a foundation. Do they actually pour concrete onto the pipes when the foundation is...

Adding another sink in bath [ 1 Answers ]

I am going from a single sink in the bath to a double sink. They will be on the same counter as the old one. Will it be possible to branch off the single water lines and run it to both sinks. Also can I run the drains to the single drain all ready there.

View more questions Search