Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivory5130 Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Externalities- positive or negative in automobile industry
    What externalities whether positive or negative come from the automobile industry?

I was thinking on the line of pollution, congestion, I'm not sure about the oil and gas consumption or prices.

Can you add any information or tell me am I on the right track here.:confused:
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ivory5130
    What externalities whether positive or negative come from the automobile industry?

I was thinking on the line of pollution, congestion, i'm not sure about the oil and gas consumption or prices.

Can you add any information or tell me am I on the right track here.:confused:
    That depends on your use of the word : externalities

Automobile pollution (although being addressed and reduced) and traffic congestion (seems metro locales are losing that battle to some extent) are examples of automobile externalities.

Oil and gas prices can be effected by other factors and other industry.
    Look at the raw materials consumed in automobile manufacturing.
    Then look at the vast number of people employeed in the auto industry. Not just manufacturing, but also the retail side: sales, service, parts... the list goes on.

Weigh this information against the fact that most people use their cars every day, in one way or another.
    ivory5130 Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Are you saying the employment of the workers whom either build or sell the automobiles is considered a positive externalities?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ivory5130
    Are you saying the employment of the workers whom either build or sell the automobiles is considered a positive externalities?
    Generating creating jobs and adding employees to the work force is generally seen as good thing. So, yes, I personally would see that as a positive externality. It tends to introduce a positive cash flow at it's local level, thus stimulating other sales and services. This can represent one branch of the "trickle down" theory.
    kmaples42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    The answer was very helpful and gave me a good start on my paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faint Positive tests and then negative tests [ 4 Answers ]

Here is my situation. First of all, you should know that I'm on Metformin because I have very irregular periods and am borderline PCOS. Now for the tests. The first day of my last period was Oct 21st. This is not uncommon for me to be this late, but I took a test anyway to see if I was...

Negative blood test negative urine but still feel pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Hi me again I've had my bloods taken not sure what of hcg tests I think which came backnormal,but still feel butterflys in my belly nauseas,and weight gain on my lower half could I still be pregnant or am I worrying myself in TO a early grave. Jeans are quite snug and my boobs have stopped...

Motor industry [ 0 Answers ]

Is the motors industry having perfect competition?

Is it a positive or a negative? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I took a test today and the results said negative so I put it or the counter and walked away for a couple of hours when I came back it had a very light blue plus so does this mean a negative or a positive? I'm so confussed:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Positive HPT Negative Blood Test? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all - I am asking if anyone has ever experienced the following and what the outcome was. I took a HPT (e.p.t. +/-) at 11 dpo and 12 dpo and got a very clear faint positive within 30 sec. Two days later I was given a pos/neg blood test at my doctor's office and got a negative. However,...

View more questions Search