Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ems14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Insulin resistance
    My son is a Type 1 Diabetic. 8 yrs old. Can he develop "Insulin Resistance" ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 08:26 PM
    My endo seems to put people in 2 categories "Insulin sensitive" and "Insulin Resistant". Maybe there is a third. I suppose the answer is yes.
    gbwillner Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ems14
    My son is a Type 1 Diabetic. 8 yrs old. Can he develop "Insulin Resistance" ?
    Possibly, but this is the last thing I would be worried about. Type I diabetics don't produce insulin, so he is "insulin dependent". Strict regulation of blood sugars is mandatory to maintain a healthy life.

Occasionally, people can develop a mixture of type I and II... but this is not common in children (can occur if they are grossly obese).
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Type 1 diabetes / juvenile diabetes / insulin dependent diabetes is due to the pancreas NOT making insulin.

Type 2 diabetes / non insulin dependent diabetes is due to "insulin resistance"
    The pancreas makes insulin but it is not as effective or not enough to keep blood sugar in the normal range.

A c-peptide can be checked and distinguish between the two types.

C-Peptide

Grace and Peace
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 09:40 PM
    And then there is type 2 insulin dependent diabetes.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 23, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Type 2 diabetics can get to the point of requiring insulin if pills are not enough to control blood sugar levels.

In Type 1, insulin is required. No pills will work.

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resistance of wire [ 2 Answers ]

How does it aafect the reistance of wire

Resistance Experiment [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm doing a project on the investigation between the length of a metallic conductor and its resistance, anyone know netin about this?? :cool: :rolleyes: :) :D :mad: ;)

Resistance [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I am doing a project on resistance.it is called to investage the relationship between the length of a metallic conductor and its resistance.could I please get any information on this as possible.. tanks

Honda DX Injector resistance [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the resistance of my 90 Honda DX injectors and came up with 1.1 and 8 ohms. Can anyone tell me what it should be? Seems odd that they are different. Thanks

Resistance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! :) I'm doing a GCSE coursework and could you please give me a very detailed explanation of how resistance is caused in a wire (constantan wire) as its length is increased;why the resistance increases. Thank you so much :-*

View more questions Search