Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northfieldt28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Tow vehicle
    I have a 31' airstream trailer. GVW is 4600lbs. Will my 1999 jeep grand cherokee be able to adequately tow this trailer. The jeep has a V-8 engine which produces about 235 horsepower. Thanks for any input. Jim
    Kamots Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 02:37 PM
    From jeep,

Trailer towing capacity - 2000 lbs standard, 6500 lbs with towing package.

Now find out if you have the tow package. If so, remember the weight of the trailer is dry, not loaded and or water tanks full. You also need to check the tongue weight and if the Jeep can handle it. Again, if so, make sure and have a good brake controller installed before towing.

If your jeep is in good shape, with no repairs or maintenance needed, then it will do OK. However it will be very close to the limit with both trailer/jeep loaded down.

Personally, I have been towed numerous things for many years, with many different vehicles. Some very capable and some not so capable. It is completely doable with your jeep. Just remember to take your time, and leave plenty of room to stop at all times.

Happy traveling.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 03:18 PM

NO!
    Think of a tail wagging the dog and you will see clearly why I said that. You have a short wheel base SUV that is relatively light trying to pull a trailer that is a load for a 2500 Suburban.
    lilwhitejeep Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 10:04 PM

I tow a 31 ft/ 3500 lb camper with my Chevy 1500 4x4 1/2 ton truck and the trailer shoves it all over. You have to consider the size of the trailer vs the size of the tow vehicle. It is not that the Jeep could not move it across town, it is going down hills or around corners that will get you. Reading this made me cringe, thinking back to summer months and the feeling of the trailer pushing my truck around under down hill runs and tight corners. I certianly would not advise towing this trailer with that jeep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tow vehicles [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a 2006 Airstream Land Yacht. I have a '05 PT Cruiser automatic transmission car. How can I safely tow this vehicle?

Rent truck to tow my toy hauler [ 4 Answers ]

How can you rent a truck capable of hauling our 5600# toy hauler? All I get is truck rentals to move furniture and household goods when I Google.

Intelligent vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me how the fuel level in a vehicle tank be measured? What sensor can be used? What other features can be added in order to automate a vehicle? Is the electronic lock system be added & how to give information to user mobile when a burglar tries to open it?

Studor vent with tow lavs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 foot lav in my new addition. The bath is on the 2nd floor and there is no way to run the drain into the wall because of the joist below the wall. I am going through the floor into the 1st floor joist space with both lav drains. My question is -Can I use one studor vent for both lavs? I...

View more questions Search