Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackiemking80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 01:12 PM
    How do I mail in my forms to MN couthouse for return of my security deposit ?
    Hello. This year, I moved out of my apartment in May. I gave my required written 30 day notice including my new forwarding mailing address. When I moved out, I had decided to shampoo the carpets and I also out a fresh coat of paint on the walls. I was told I would receive my damage deposit in FULL in addition to all accrued interest. The new tenant moved into my old aptartment the very next day. I lived there for 5.5 years and my damage deposit was $400. I have requested my damage deposit. I have written a letter to the owner question my damage deposit or a written reason that is preventing its return. He still has not contacted me. He keeps telling my former land lady that he will bring it out when he has to pick up rent, or stop in to pick up new applications. I keep asking my former land lady if he had brought it out that particular time but every time he does not bring it. I have bothered my former land lady for months. I have downloaded forms from findlaw.com and have filled them out after doing my research on MN laws. HOW DO I GO ABOUT SENDING IN MY FORMS TO THE COURTHOUSE? Do I need a intro letter? A letter of request for my papers to be processed? Is there a fee? What do I do with the forms that I have downloaded and filled out? What's the next step?

It's been months of waiting... I know he's passed his limitations for returning it and he has exceeded the time after I have sent him a written request. What do I do next? :(

Thanks.

Jackie king
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I would contact the Justice of the Peace in the county where the property is located. They can tell you exactly what to do and what is necessary. I guess I'm assuming you're referring to suing the property owner in small claims court, correct? That's what you need to do now, if that's not what you're talking about.

Are you planning to go back for the court hearing? If not, find out if you can designate a representative and what that process would entail. Typically, you'd need to be there to present your case and get a ruling or the case will just be dismissed.

There's a fee that you'll have to pay to file the case and receive a court date. If you win your case all of the court costs will be tacked on to the judgement. The counties I deal with accept credit cards, so ask them about that.

Hope that helps,
    Karla in TX

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security deposit return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a pa landlord. Although I specifically stated on my Lease that painting is prohibitted, I did give my tenant permission to paint a "light, basic color". She painted a room navy/black, which was not acceptable. When she moved, I charged her labor and supplies in order to restore the room. I am...

Return of Security Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

I was a college student in upstate NY and rented an apartment off campus. When I left, I made sure that the apartment was cleaned and vacuumed. I wiped out cabinets, cleaned the frig, cleaned the stove to the best of my ability, washed floors, cleaned the bathroom (tub and toilet), and washed...

Enforceable return of security deposit. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all.. heres my question.. After going to court and winning my case against landlord and getting double my security awarded, how do I now retrieve my money.. he told me he still isn't going to pay me because it is not enforceable. Can I petition courts to have a sheriffs sale? Put a lien on his...

Return security deposit [ 5 Answers ]

Hello ! My question is this : if the owner of the rental unit chose not to renew the lease because she wished to move into the apartment herself, and is now doing total, major renovation work, can she still deduct for "damage" such as a crack in the bathroom sink and a stain on the carpet? She...

Late Return in Security Deposit [ 26 Answers ]

I was living in a room of the landlord's home on a month by month basis. Unfortunately, I received notice of a job opportunity elsewhere mid-month (october). I notified my landlord that I was moving out by the end of the month (approximately 2 weeks) without being aware of the 30-day notice rule. ...

View more questions Search