Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0002852843 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
    H1 B tax filing
    Hi

I am married and have a 6 month baby all residing in the US. Ll be completing my opt in sept 07 and starting my H1 b this oct. Since currently I am on OPT I don't pay SS and Medi taxes. Is it a good idea to tell my employer to withhold these taxes starting this oct?

Also, your help will be appreciated if you can let me know what is prudent to do while filing return for FY 2007. Should I file a joint return? Also my wife doesn't have a SS# or any tax ID? Please advise what to do in this situation.

Finally, it would be great if you can give me tips to save taxes on H1B since this will be the first time I ll be filing H1 return. (if you cannot list all the tips, at least copy the link where I can find the tips)

Many thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Your employer should KNOW to begin withholding SS and Medicare taxes once your H-1B begins.

You should file jointly with your wife and BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens. You will have to apply for an ITIN for your wife using Form W-7.

By filing jointly, you can deduct education expenses paid in 2007.
    0002852843 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Thanks for your instant reply.

Can you also tell me when can I apply for my wife's ITIN? Can I apply right away using W7?

Also, to file my return for fy 2007 please let me know what forms I ll need. I am aware that I ll need Form 1040. Is there any other form I need to include with my return?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 08:48 AM
    You need a specific reason WHY she needs an ITIN in order to apply without a tax return.

If you file jointly with your wife, you will file Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

H4 to F1 tax filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question regarding filing income tax for the year 2006. I came to the US on H4 status on June 2003 and changed status to F1 in Jan-2006. So for the year 2006 Do I have to file a dual status return or as a non-resident alien? The website says for change of status from F1 to H visa...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

Filing Tax for L1 And L2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are in US from March 2006. My husband is on L1 and I am on L2. I have started working from September 2006. For first three months both of us have filed tax separately . But since December 2006 we have been filling tax jointly.Just wanted to know information on filing tax and what are...

View more questions Search