Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AjayNampally Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Returning Sign on Bonus - How does tax returns work?
    I am offered sign on bonus of 10000 USD.
    Restrictions: I get 30% if I stay 13 months with my employer.
    My Question: After taxes, I get around 7000K. If for some reason, I leave my employer before 13 months, I need to return all 10000, though I got only 7000 in hand.
    How do I go about rest of the 3000, which I paid in taxes? Is there any procedure to get my 3000 back on tax returns?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 01:13 PM
    The bonus IS taxable income, so you may not get it all back.

The $3,000 withholding will be reflected on your W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Sign-on bonus federal tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about sign-on bonus federal tax. I joined my current company in August 2006. And the employer gave me $5,000 for sign-on bonus and $5,000 for relocation. They told me at that time that both money are after federal tax. Now I received my W-2 form, and in the category of my...

What is the tax in Massachusetts on a sign on bonus for work [ 1 Answers ]

What is the tax in Massachusetts on a sign on bonus taken out by an employer

Returning a sign-on bonus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I received a sign-on bonus of $15,000 in 2005 that was reported as income on my W-2. (actual amount received was $10,102.50 after taxes). I have recently left that job and need to return the sign-on bonus. My company wants me to return the $10,102.50 + $3,750 for federal taxes since my...

View more questions Search