Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Is this carpal tunnel?
    Hi!

I work a lot on the computer, and hang out on it some in my spare time. Last Sunday, I noticed that my right wrist was sore on the outside (the pinkie finger side, where that little bumpy bone is). I figured it was from mousing too much, and that it would go away with some rest and time away from the computer. However, it's now almost a week later, and it's still bothering me. So my first thought was "carpal tunnel syndrome". However, when I read up on the symptoms, it seems like this is the exact opposite of carpal.

Carpal tunnel: Affects the palm and the first three fingers. Doesn't affect the little finger.

Me: Fingers and palm fine. The little finger is a little tingly, and slightly colder-feeling than the others. Sore/tingly around that little bumpy bone on the wrist pinkie-side. Tingly feeling radiating up the outside of the arm to the elbow. Bending the wrist in certain directions causes sharp pain to go with the tingles, and it hurts to carry heavy things in that hand. And rubbing the outside of the arm from wrist to elbow will decrease the amount of tingling for as long as I do it.

So, is this carpal with really aberrant symptoms, or some other problem? I'm going on vacation starting next Friday, so my current plan is to baby it through next week (pain killers, limiting the mousing, etc.) and then see if a week away from the computer does any good. If it doesn't, then I am going to get in touch with a doctor and see what they say, but I'd like some thoughts on what I conditons I should be considering.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
    NO its not Carpal tunnel for the reasons you describe.

You may have a pinched nerve in the elbow due to inflammation - the so called funny bone.

Pad / cushion that elbow - you may be leaning on it while on the computer.

Grace and Peace
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 11:00 PM
    I agree with the answer above. You may be leaning on something with your elbow. Also, I have had similar symptoms to yours when my mousing arm was somewhat elevated when I was on the computer for many hours at a time. Now, when I use the computer, both my arms are in a hanging down position. There is much less fatigue for me that way.

If you are still having trouble with your wrist after a few days, then you might want to consider having your wrist or wrists adjusted by a chiropractor who actually manipulates your bones. Having them adjusted really helps me, because one of things that I do is that I am a professional pianist. The bones in the wrist can become displaced due to working by typing and mousing on a computer also. If you have never tried a chiropractor, you might like to give one a try. Just a thought.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Well, I'm definitely not resting on the elbow. But I do have a gel wrist rest for the mouse, and my wrist tends to rest on that, with the elbow pointing down in space. So it may be that I need to elevate the arm more. (Part of my problem is that I am proportioned oddly, so it is hard to find furniture that accommodates both really long legs and a relatively short torso. I wind up with the keyboard and mouse either being too high or too low.) But I got the mouse wrist rest because without it, I have the sharp desk edge pressing into the underside of the wrist, and that really hurts!)

And I will talk to my chiro about it.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I've had similar symptoms and found my mouse arm seems "locked" while I'm online.

You can try using a different approach angle with your elbow by moving your chair up or down with varying distances from your desk. And, so your hand will use a different grip (you didn't mention if you're using the same 'puter), you may also use a totally different mouse or switch to a trac ball version.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    And I will talk to my chiro about it.
    I am glad that you will be doing that! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I'm 25 with a 1yr old baby at home and I'm at the end of my rope. We're always broke and everyday is a struggle. I work and my boyfriend works 2 jobs but we still can't pay for everything. I have bill collectors calling all day everyday. I'm enrolled in a credit counseling program to help...

Methathione and carpal tunnel syndrome [ 1 Answers ]

I am suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, can taking methathione, which is known to cure arthritis help?

Carpal tunnel/legalities [ 3 Answers ]

I have a slight case of the condition, carpal tunnel. I have been in a profession that requires me to type at least 90% of the day, for the past 25 years. Recently I have been experiencing aching in my neck and tingling in my fingers. I like my job but my health is more important. I have...

80's / 90's Movie About Midevil Knights Digging Tunnel to New York [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for the title of a movie that I saw 15-20 years ago, on VHS. I remember that the movie was about some knights who were besieged in a castle in Europe (England, perhaps) and that in desperation, they decided to dig a tunnel to freedom or for help. They dug so far that...

View more questions Search