Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muszynskir Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Installing transfer switch at gas furnace
    I purchased the Reliance TF201W Easy / Tran switch. I'm planning to install it so I can run my gas furnace off my generator via extension cord this winter if necessary. The installation instructions show the switch being wired into the breaker panel. My breaker panel is in a finished basement and I was planning to wire the transfer switch at the furnace junction box in the laundry room.

Is there any issues with installing the transfer switch at the furnace rather the breaker panel? The junction box cover has one steel conduit to the furnace. The transfer switch will add a second so I'll have to install an appropriate cover plate on the junction box for 2 conduits... or run the conduit from the junction box - to the switch - then to the furnace.

TIA for any advise:)

Other details:
    The circuit feeding the gas furnace is on a 20A breaker
    TF201W info: http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...il.aspx?TF201W
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 03:52 AM
    The ProTran unit is marketed for connection at a furnace, as stated on the spec sheet "allows the TF to be easily connected at the circuit breaker panel or the furnace or at any point in between."

Be sure to connect to the line side of the service switch at the furnace, so that the switch will still shut down the furnace if needed.

The unit comes with an 18" long flex whip. If you can mount the unit next to a junction box containing the feed to the furnace, this is fine. Or you can mount the unit anywhere, extend the whip with a cable and junction box to get to the feed for the furnace.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Please let us know how it works. There have been reports of problems of furnaces not working on generators.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open limit switch on Concord Gas Furnace [ 14 Answers ]

I have a Concord 80 Plus Gas Furnace. I am starting the furnace for the winter and it gives me a LED code of open limit switch or limit switch circuit. Everything seems to work fine up until the point where the blower needs to turn on. I had the same problem last year but got a tech to fix it. I am...

3-way switch as transfer switch? [ 47 Answers ]

Why are transfer switches so expensive? What's wrong with Using a 3-way switch for each circuit that I want to connect To my generator?

Transfer Switch [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I am looking to add a transfer switch so I can run my generator when the power is out. I have always been told that my transfer switch needs to be rated higher then my generator's output. The problem is my generator has two output rating stated. In other words, a constance rating of 5,550 kw...

Schmatic of a transfer switch? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a schmatic of a 6 braker 20 amp manual transfer switch for mr 5000 what generator... I d like to see how they hook up and know just how they work... will I have to turn off my 200 amp main or will the manual transfer switch do it? Or maybe it don't get turned off?I did see...

Transfer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I’ve recently purchased a Guardian 13kw standby generator with a transfer switch and load center panel. I have a couple of questions 1. The transfer panel had a total of 205 amps through 12 various breakers in it, can I replace some of them as long as I don’t go over the original 205 amps and use...

View more questions Search