Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Marrying an non-us citizen
    Hi. I am a currently a college student and a US citizen. I used to live in South Amerika and met my boyfriend there. However, I've moved back to the US to further my education a year ago. We have been dating for almost 3 years now and want to get married and settle in the States. We are both older than 18years. I do know that if we get married in the US, I would have to file a marriage visa for him in order to stay here right? Or is it easier to first file for a fiancée visa since that is faster to get?(that's what I have read) But since I am a student and only work part time, I don't make enough to proof I am able to support him right? Proof that you can support your spouse is required rigth? What can we do in such situation? He does work in South Amerika.
    prett202 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
    I am from south america too. I came to the US 3 years ago with a student visa. The only way he could get his green card is through marrige. That's what I did, I got married 3 weeks ago and I already applied for my green card throigh my wife which is an american citizen. You cannot file for a fiancée visa because both of you are already living in the US, fiancée visa are usually given for someone abroad and wants to come to be with his/her partner here in the U.S. You should have tax returns for the last 3 years, it would help showing that you have a source of income and the support thing does not matter as long you pay yout taxes and have a job. After all, he is going to get his green card and start working too. I have a lawyer that is doing all paper work to me, I just brinh him whatever he asks. You MUST show proof that you have been married legally , showing you have joint bank accounts, mortgage or lease, prrof that you live together gas, electric, phones, joint credit cards, health insurace, car loans, airline tickets shwoing that you travel together. All that helps a lot TRUST ME.
    Michelle29 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 05:14 PM
    My husband is from another country. The finacee visa is the way to go, trust me. It's faster and costs less. Get the correct paperwork from the immigration office closest to you and fill it out. It's pretty involved but if you're halfway smart you won't need an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen marrying a colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step...

Marrying a US citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a requirement in marrying a u.s citizen? Were planning to marry outside the u.s is there a requirements for my fiancé to marry me here at the philippines?

Marrying A Greek Citizen [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Jodie I am a Canadian citizen and I am wanting to move to Greece with a Greek citizen, but not wanting to get married right away. Of course wanted to see if living there is something I can deal with. I know I am able to stay up to three months. I am wanting to know how...

View more questions Search