Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newbie101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2005, 10:04 PM
    Newbie needs help with remote power
    Hello all, my name is George. First of all just want to let you all know that I am completely clueless about electrical stuff, I need professional advice. I am trying to set up a solar power of some sort for my gardenhouse. I need to run about 10-20 30 watt lights continuously 20-24 hours, and I just really need to figure out what system I need. If anyone can help me, and educate me a bit on batteries and solar power, it would be really appretiated. I am trying to find something that would run by itself without any attention for few months, solar power preferablly, but I have no idea how much it might cost me. If it is too much I might look into just having a few batteries, but how many would I need to run a month or two by itself? Thank you. George.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie101
    Hello all, my name is George. First of all just want to let you all know that I am completely clueless about electrical stuff, I need professional advice. I am trying to set up a solar power of some sort for my gardenhouse. I need to run about 10-20 30 watt lights continuously 20-24 hours, and i just really need to figure out what system i need. If anyone can help me, and educate me a bit on batteries and solar power, it would be really appretiated. I am trying to find something that would run by itself without any attention for few months, solar power preferablly, but I have no idea how much it might cost me. if it is too much I might look into just having a few batteries, but how many would I need to run a month or two by itself? Thank you. George.
    Do you have a source for the bulbs and batteries? Sounds like you know a little something about the subject?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 06:57 AM
    There are systems meant for charging automobile batteries. Solar power varies. Lights need a constant voltage and amperage. If you just need light, and not color balanced light, you could use automotive bulbs directly off the batteries. Almost any fluorescent bulb provides light close to what plants need. They also reduce power requirements. You might find 12 volt fluorescent lights in auto accessories or camping and RV supplies. Then all you would need is a deep cycle, marine, battery and the charger I mentioned.

If you must have 120 volt lights, you can buy inverters. The price isn't near as bad as it used to be.
    Newbie101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Well my source would be solar power... I saw panels that are 50 watt. I am really bad with all this electric stuff, and I just can't get it. I was thinking of getting a power pac II or I, I don't know what I need exactly yet, just thought you guys might help me figure it out. And deep cycle batteries I have no idea which ones to get, and which ones would last me about a month.. I am looking to run it for as long as I can before I have to recharge the battery. That's why I was thinking solar power, so I would never have to recharge the battery. But I don't know how much that would cost me.. I've cut down on my lights.. and would be happy with any system that could run 100-150 watt continuously. I know fluoresents are good, I am thinking about getting those small fluoresent bulbs not tubes though. Tnx again guys.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2005, 10:14 AM
    well my source would be solar power... i saw panels that are 50 watt. i am really bad with all this electric stuff, and i just can't get it. i was thinking of getting a power pac II or I, i dunno what i need exactly yet, just thought u guys might help me figure it out. and deep cycle batteries i have no idea which ones to get, and which ones would last me about a month.. i am lookin to run it for as long as i can before i have to recharge the battery. thats why i was thinking solar power, so i would never have to recharge the battery. but i dunno how much that would cost me.. i've cut down on my lights.. and would be happy with any system that could run 100-150 watt continuously. i know fluoresents are good, i am thinking about getting those small fluoresent bulbs not tubes though. Tnx again guys.
    What is the output voltage of the panels? Attach a spec if you can.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 01:31 PM
    To use 100-150 watts continuously, you would need at least 4 of the 50 watt panels producing 200 watts together, enough to light the lights and charge the battery for at night when the panels won't produce any power. Wal-Mart has deep cycle batteries in their automotive department, black ones and more expensive yellow ones you could hope would last longer. Even the smaller. Cheaper ones should carry the load. As I said, if you can find 12 volt lights, it would save buying an inverter, and the inverter would also have a percentage power loss.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Sep 30, 2005, 04:02 PM
    well my source would be solar power... i saw panels that are 50 watt. i am really bad with all this electric stuff, and i just can't get it. i was thinking of getting a power pac II or I, i dunno what i need exactly yet, just thought u guys might help me figure it out. and deep cycle batteries i have no idea which ones to get, and which ones would last me about a month.. i am lookin to run it for as long as i can before i have to recharge the battery. thats why i was thinking solar power, so i would never have to recharge the battery. but i dunno how much that would cost me.. i've cut down on my lights.. and would be happy with any system that could run 100-150 watt continuously. i know fluoresents are good, i am thinking about getting those small fluoresent bulbs not tubes though. Tnx again guys.
    Becareful with the solar panel's rating... some sellers/manufactures rate it by total daily wattage... where as lite bulbs are rate as hourly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Wireless remote power control [ 3 Answers ]

I would lke to be able to operate a water pump remotely. The pump is rated at 1hp and operates on 110v. I can find remote units but they specify a 1/3 hp limit. Can anyone tell me where I can find the desired unit? Thanks, Bob

View more questions Search