Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jas 33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2005, 07:11 PM
    Ac blower cycles on/off at start
    When the outside temp closes in on the thermostat set temp ( at night ) the ac will cycle on but the blower will try to start then turn off. It cycles like this for a number of times before finally overcoming the issue and then it will run normally. If during this cycling I move the thermostat to a lower temp the cycling stops and it will run normally. I have noticed that the blower no longer runs after the ac turns off. It used to run for about 30 seconds. We also receive a blast of warm air at the onset of the cycle which I think is new. It is a 12 year old trane, and I am suspecting the honeywell thermostat.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 09:22 PM
    I suspect the blower controls. The thermostat has nothing to do with the blower running after the compressor shuts off. That is controlled by a timer in the furnace. The blower is operated by a relay in the furnace controls. If the thermostat is bad, it would cycle the compressor on and off as well as the blower.

Oct 9, 2005, 04:14 PM
    Bad relay?
    I checked the set of relays and they are old and pitted. Could this be causing the problem?

Nov 19, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Blower not working
    I replaced the relay. Still having issues with the blower cycling on off. The heatpump works but the blower has problems. It seems to occur when the temp gets below 65. During the day I can get the system working, and I put the fan into On instead of auto. Usually we get through night. Last night it got pretty cold for us Arizonians about 50 and the unit started cycling again. What should I look for... Is the timer you mentioned a Capacitor - resistor network
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2005, 02:06 PM
    I have never gotten in to how the timers work. I just know they are there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower can not auto start [ 29 Answers ]

I have a problem with my furnace blower not starting automatically. It works good when I swiched the fan option to "ON", the furnace was burning and fan was running. However if I pick "AUTO", only the furnace burns periodicaly, and the fan totall gets stuck. I am wondering if it is a wiring...

Blower Fan noise / slow to start [ 3 Answers ]

Last night I heard a rumbling noise coming from the closet in the hallway where our Trane XE80 gas furnace (April 1996) is located. With the door open the noise appeared to be coming from the blower area. We are in the heat of summer so, to stop the system, I set the temperature on the...

The blower doesn't start on "Auto" [ 10 Answers ]

Please someone help me. My furnace Lennox G20Q3/4E-100-5 behaves as follows: 1) Fan is on "Auto" 2) Thermostat calls for heat 3) Green light comes "On" on IPI module and then burner comes "On" 4) Flame occurs 5) Blower doesn't come "On". After a while, the burner stops due to safety. It...

Heatpump blower cycles on off [ 1 Answers ]

The heatpump works but the blower has problems. When the fan is put to "On", or when the system is initiated by the thermostat, the blower sometimes will try to start, but cycles on/off. I can hear the relay clicking. When the system does operate correctly the problem will eventually re-occur....

Furnace blower cycles with Thermostat off [ 2 Answers ]

Have Goodman Furnace built 1994. Worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. It starts cycling, and the heat icon does not show on the thermostat. I turn the thermostat off, the furnace continues to blow. Last night to verify, took the thermostat off the wall (but still had the furnace plugged in and...

View more questions Search