Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Where do you stand on God?
    Do you believe in the Virgin Birth or the notion that Mary rose into heaven without dying?

The New Atheist.
    “Three writers have sounded a call to arms. They are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett”
    Dawkins is perfectly aware that atheism is an ancient doctrine and that little of what he has to say is likely to change the terms of this stereotyped debate. But he continues to go at it. His true interlocutors are not the Christians he confronts directly but the wavering nonbelievers or quasi believers among his listeners – people like me, potential New Atheists who might be inspired by his example.

Wired 14.11: The Church of the Non-Believers
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Are you looking for an atheistic view or is this general?:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Do you believe in the Virgin Birth or the notion that Mary rose into heaven without dying?

The New Atheist.
    “Three writers have sounded a call to arms. They are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett”
    Dawkins is perfectly aware that atheism is an ancient doctrine and that little of what he has to say is likely to change the terms of this stereotyped debate. But he continues to go at it. His true interlocutors are not the Christians he confronts directly but the wavering nonbelievers or quasi believers among his listeners – people like me, potential New Atheists who might be inspired by his example.

The New Atheists will not let like me off the hook simply because I am are not a believer. They condemn not just belief in God but respect for belief in God... Religion is not only wrong; it's evil.
    I am simply wondering what others believe who do not practice a Religion.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Yes, I believe in Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ. I believe she was chosen by God because she was in the lineage and also a pure young woman. I believe in the virgin birth and also that she was ascended in Heaven without an earthly death. Now just how old Catholic is that? Yes, it is and I do not apologize for my beliefs, even though I am not Catholic any longer.
    andrewyha Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Sep 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Personally I believe in the virgin birth, but the notion that Mary didn't die is just that, a notion.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewyha
    Personally i believe in the virgin birth, but the notion that Mary didn't die is just that, a notion.
    Are you saying a Bible is not the literal truth then?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Yes, I believe in Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ. I believe she was chosen by God because she was in the lineage and also a pure young woman. I believe in the virgin birth and also that she was ascended in Heaven without an earthly death. Now just how old Catholic is that? Yes, it is and I do not apologize for my beliefs, even though I am not Catholic any longer.
    I did not mean I agreed, just thanking you for your response:)
    andrewyha Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Sep 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
    No, I mean just that! The Bible nowhere gives even a hint that Mary did not die, or even that she remained a perpetual virgin for the rest of her life. There are a lot of common misconceptions about Mary.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewyha
    No, I mean just that! the Bible nowhere gives even a hint that Mary did not die, or even that she remained a perpetual virgin for the rest of her life. there are a lot of common misconceptions about Mary.
    Thanks for the clarification.:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
    I believe in the virgin birth.
    I believe that Jesus (alaihi salaam)ascended(taken up) to heaven, not Mary (May Allah be pleased with her).
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
    I don't have a copy of the Vulgate or else I would look and see if and where it states Mary was "taken up" into Heaven. Common sense would tell you she did not remain a perpetual virgin - there were supposed brothers to Christ. But if memory serves me right, Mary's Ascension is not recorded in the Vulgate - but it is a Catholic doctrine of belief.

Whether anyone agrees or disagrees is totally their own option.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I believe in the virgin birth.
    I believe that Jesus (alaihi salaam)ascended(taken up) to heaven, not Mary (May Allah be pleased with her).
    Thanks... For the New Atheists, the problem is not any specific doctrine, but religion in general. Or, as Dawkins writes in The God Delusion, "As long as we accept the principle that religious faith must be respected simply because it is religious faith, it is hard to withhold respect from the faith of Osama bin Laden and the suicide bombers."
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
    I'm with dawkins up to the point where he wants everyone to be like him (an athiest).
    I think people should be able to believe whatever they want without ridicule.
    That being said I don't take the bible/torah/qu'ran etc as proof of anything.

I understands Dawkin's take on agostics (from the OP's original post) but in my opinion they are probably the wisest of us all, everything that isn't agnostic is based on pure conjecture/ sheer belief. Does this make sense?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Thanks...For the New Atheists, the problem is not any specific doctrine, but religion in general. Or, as Dawkins writes in The God Delusion, "As long as we accept the principle that religious faith must be respected simply because it is religious faith, it is hard to withhold respect from the faith of Osama bin Laden and the suicide bombers."
    Sad to see that what the media feeds as mainstream Islam is being accepted as the real thing by so many...

Not my loss though!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    I'm with dawkins up to the point where he wants everyone to be like him (an athiest).
    I think people should be able to believe whatever they want without ridicule.
    That being said I don't take the bible/torah/qu'ran ect as proof of anything.

I understands Dawkin's take on agostics (from the OP's original post) but in my opinion they are probaly the wisest of us all, everything that isn't agnostic is based on pure conjecture/ sheer belief. Does this make sense?
    Myself, I've decided to refuse the call, it’s another kind of absoluteness as is Fundamentalism. My bedrock faith: the faith that no matter how confident we are in our beliefs, there's always a chance we could turn out to be wrong.:p
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Firm I think Dawkins way making a point that to respect on random belief is to respect them all whether they be everyone should be painted purple or kill everyone with more than six letters in their name.

He just randomly picked that one because it was popular at the time. 10 year ago I'm sure he would have mentioned Catholics and the IRA.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:47 PM

The New Atheist.

Let me start by saying I don't believe the virgin birth or about Mary ascending to heaven without dying. I also have not read the link in full (but I will!).

Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens are often called the "Unholy Trinity" :) Dennett is usually left out for some reason; he's not quite as aggressive as the others.

I think the three of them make some decent points, but I don't agree with (Dawkins', mostly) view that religion in all instances is bad and should be done away with. I know many people of various religions who are good, wonderful people who would not dare press their beliefs on others, would not bomb this or that because they don't like it, etc. They believe because they believe and they are a-ok with me not believing. I think Dawkins is absolutely correct that no matter what he says religion isn't going to change, and atheism isn't likely to be accepted and well-respected. He also says that he thinks it is ridiculous you can't criticize religion, religious views or religious icons because they are "holy". This is silly because we are free to argue the points of anything else under the sun, but add god to the equation and it's off-limits.

I'm actually in the middle of "The God Delusion" (Dawkins) right now; and my husband is reading "The End of Faith" (Harris). "Delusion" is interesting, it makes some good points, but a lot of it is Dawkins just whining. I would encourage anyone who is curious to read it - I think for some it might re-affirm their faith, for others it might put them on the other side of the fence (assuming you were a fence-sitter to begin with).
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    Firm I think Dawkins way making a point that to respect on random belief is to respect them all whether they be everyone should be painted purple or kill everyone with more than six letters in their name.

He just randomly picked that one because it was popular at the time. 10 year ago I'm sure he would have mentioned Catholics and the IRA.
    To expand a little on that, he's also picking the worst examples he can find of religion as an example as to why it is bad; 9/11 was a horrible, horrible tragedy and (sadly) is used by a lot of people to further their objectives.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Let me start by saying I don't believe the virgin birth or about Mary ascending to heaven without dying. I also have not read the link in full (but I will!).

Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens are often called the "Unholy Trinity" :) Dennett is usually left out for some reason; he's not quite as aggressive as the others.

I think the three of them make some decent points, but I don't agree with (Dawkins', mostly) view that religion in all instances is bad and should be done away with. I know many people of various religions who are good, wonderful people who would not dare press their beliefs on others, would not bomb this or that because they dont like it, etc. They believe because they believe and they are a-ok with me not believing. I think Dawkins is absolutely correct that no matter what he says religion isn't going to change, and atheism isn't likely to be accepted and well-respected. He also says that he thinks it is ridiculous you can't criticize religion, religious views or religious icons because they are "holy". This is silly because we are free to argue the points of anything else under the sun, but add god to the equation and it's off-limits.

I'm actually in the middle of "The God Delusion" (Dawkins) right now; and my husband is reading "The End of Faith" (Harris). "Delusion" is interesting, it makes some good points, but a lot of it is Dawkins just whining. I would encourage anyone who is curious to read it - I think for some it might re-affirm their faith, for others it might put them on the other side of the fence (assuming you were a fence-sitter to begin with).
    You are right on about this. If you read the article you will find that Dennett writes about the personal risk inherent in attacking faith. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 08:30 PM
    I do think the author of the article rejecting the extremism of atheism is a good thing for himself as this would have lead to the problem of having a life filled with suspicion and unease.

Always at war within even when some religious teachings make sense one is unable to accept it whole heartedly because one thinks it is wrong.

I find that some athiests respect for other religions make it a more balanced life than pure hatred against us religious followers. I have found that the prejudice against religion say for example Islam seems to make some I know want to find something wrong with it just to prove a point.
    And sometimes even take one away from the truth,even when one is staring in their face.

For me personally,
    If I was not a fundamentalist I will not be a proper muslim,because the fundamental beliefs of Islam,like pure monotheism and following the ways of Muhammad(pbuh) is what differentiates a muslim from any other faith.
    If I did not follow the fundamentals of Islam,I may as well call myself deist.Just because some people have redefined the term fundamentalist to suit their needs(calling terrorisers fundamental) does not mean I will stop calling myself a fundamentalist.

Another thing I always will believe is that however much anyone says anything about organised religion,Islam is the right path whether you believe it or not.
    I would have quoted the Quran here,but may seem like I am imposing so I refrain.
    But in the Quran it is stated many times that those who wish to not believe will say that the Quran is man made or wrong or written by a mad-man.And it also states that those who dispute will say that this life is all we will have and there is nothing beyond death.
    I could go on but many of the arguments atheists and others pull up is mentioned in the Quran that people will say these things just to not believe even when they do not know the truth.

Sad part is I as a muslim in trying to explain Islam as it is am hoping that those who find it to be the truth will find that it is the right path.
    And I pray and hope that all of you here will find that eternal peace in knowing upon our deaths that it is the best investment we could ever make in this life to open an account with the almighty which gives unrestricted after the day of judgement.

I know some of you will think, poor firmbeliever she is so deluded in her thinking that by following Islam she will be saved or that poor thing is deluding herself embracing an organised religious doctrine because she does know any better.

Sometimes I do wish the dead souls come back to haunt this earth,the stories they could tell of what happens after death.
    But then that would make it much too easier to have faith,this way faith is hard to accept and keep.But harder the struggle,better the reward I always believe.

Sorry DC,
    I seem to be rambling a bit...
    Just my 2 cents and more... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I stand? [ 4 Answers ]

I am liz. I am barely eighteen, and I live in salem Oregon. I have a friend AJ whom I have developed a huge crush on over the last month and a half. The only problem with this is that, I feel as if he might be using me. See none of my friends like him because they know that he always asks me to...

Where Do I Stand If I Decide To Stand Up To Them? [ 26 Answers ]

I am posting this on behalf of my sister. She Wrote - Where do I stand if I decide to stand up to them and say enough is enough? This is the short version, I will go into more detail as we go along. I hope you can help me. I am in need of some serious advice. Got 2 grandchildren...

What does this stand for? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering this was on my boyfriends record or whatever they call it 1 count/merged count of : 2C:17-3*4 Criminal Mischief /4 What's the numbers for?

Where do I stand? [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to this site but my head is going crazy with thought an I need help pleasssse I met this guy about 2 weeks ago we have been on 3 dates which were all really good we have spoke everyday by phone or text but I felt like maybe I was always in touch with him first then read this article about...

What does GSD stand for? [ 1 Answers ]

Excuse my ignorance, but what does GSD stand for? I've wondered - German Shorthaired Dog? Great Something Dane? Good Sweet Dachshund. LOL Anyone? Much thanks ahead of time. :p

View more questions Search