Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    The extraordinary acts of stupidity have risen to new lows.
    Dark, just focus on the last sentence here
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I’ll take that as a complement...

Exactly.

I rest my case.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 22, 2007, 07:22 PM
    DC - You have always struck me as a very intelligent person, well versed in history, and capable of rational thought. Some of your comments in this thread disappoint me. Your apparent willingness to accept an idiot as a spokesman, merely because he shares your views is not something that I am not able to do. Your acceptance as fact, things which are not proven, merely because of your dislike for GWB lead me to reconsider my earlier opinion.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    DC - You have always struck me as a very intelligent person, well versed in history, and capable of rational thought. Some of your comments in this thread disappoint me. Your apparent willingness to accept an idiot as a spokesman, merely because he shares your views is not something that I am not able to do. Your acceptance as fact, things which are not proven, merely because of your dislike for GWB lead me to reconsider my earlier opinion.
    Dr D

I’m a little confused, who is the ‘spokesman’ I am supposed to support and what fact that is not in evidence have I accepted?

Sep 23, 2007, 09:40 AM
    I wasn’t there, I don’t know for sure, I only saw a picture... and it was with a middle finger extended. Either way, and I really don’t care whether he did or didn’t, I don’t like him.

Please excuse me for not having mastered the Quote feature; so I did cut and paste for your statement.

You apparently support the actions of the tasered prankster as an absolute RIGHT. That would mean that anyone can speak, yell, refuse to leave, refuse the lawful orders of the police, at any time, at any place, without any consequences.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    I wasn't there, I don't know for sure, I only saw a picture...and it was with a middle finger extended. Either way, and I really don't care whether he did or didn't, I don't like him.

Please excuse me for not having mastered the Quote feature; so I did cut and paste for your statement.

You apparently support the actions of the tasered prankster as an absolute RIGHT. That would mean that anyone can speak, yell, refuse to leave, refuse the lawful orders of the police, at any time, at any place, without any consequences.
    The student was at the microphone, as I understood it, and ask a number of sequential questions; security came and told him he had to leave... at that time Kerry said, "no, it's alright I would like to answer the question." That took place on a news video I saw.

I don't know what the questions were, so I can't say whether I support his position or not, but I do support both the students and Kerrys right to speak.

I wasn't there, I don't know for sure, I only saw a picture...and it was with a middle finger extended. Either way, and I really don't care whether he did or didn't, I don't like him.
    My point here was that I did not care whether Bush did or did not flip a birdie, my evaluation of him did not hinge on whether he did or did not.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 01:40 PM
    The student was at the microphone, as I understood it, and ask a number of sequential questions; security came and told him he had to leave...at that time Kerry said, "no, it’s alright I would like to answer the question." That took place on a news video I saw.
    Kerry caved; he didn't want to look like the bad guy (typical politician - but, he and his team set the rules for questioning )
    That student knew the forum and the rules, but didn't play by those rules that he'd already agreed to, so...

I don’t know what the questions were, so I can’t say whether I support his position or not, but I do support both the students and Kerrys right to speak.
    .. what ever questions he had... don't matter. He was unruly and got put in his place.
    He's a habitual defiant.

My point here was that I did not care whether Bush did or did not flip a birdie, my evaluation of him did not hinge on whether he did or did not.
    Have you never seen a picture altered for the sake of comedy or political satire..?

HAND!!
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Kerry caved; he didn't want to look like the bad guy (typical politician - but, he and his team set the rules for questioning )
    That student knew the forum and the rules, but didn't play by those rules that he'd already agreed to, so...

..what ever questions he had... don't matter. He was unruly and got put in his place.
    He's a habitual defiant.

Have you never seen a picture altered for the sake of comedy or political satire...?!?!

HAND!!!!
    CR

He ask 2 more questions than the stipulated 1... that happens all the time.

Yes, I know photos can be altered.. that is why I prefaced my comment with, “I wasn’t there, I don’t know for sure...”:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
    So your into mind reading are you, what makes you believe Kerry simply would not have liked to respond? If he caved it was in about 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

Sep 23, 2007, 04:11 PM
    We are all free to view the events, and draw conclusions as to the motivation of those involved. The only Fact of the case is that the young man REFUSED to abide by the decision of the moderators who shut off his mike. He, and he alone caused the situation to escalate. Your circular reasoning tires me.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 24, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Well of course Andrew Meyer being tazered was all Bush's fault. So were Huricane Katrina and Global Warming. Shrillary Clintoon flashing her cleavage (a national disaster if I ever saw one) was Bush's fault. Ahmad-genocide's rants against Israel and the Holocaust are Bush's fault. Being cold in the winter and hot in the summer is Bush's fault. EVERYTHING is Bush's fault. Didn't you know that? Bush is the smartest, dumbest, most evil, most naïve, most powerful, weakest, most influential, least popular President in history... all at the same time.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Right, and those darned rebels at Kent State got what they deserved!
    ;)
    And like the Branch Davidians, eh? What does Kent State have to do with this? Is arson and violence protected expression? The guy resisted arrest, charged toward a US Senator and got tazed. What the heck did he think was going to happen, be offered a muffin and a cup of coffee?
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 08:09 AM
    What the president is doing is chipping away at liberty, so I fully agree with the editorial right to voice said opinion.
    How about the Presidents total contempt for the American people that he displayed by sticking his middle finger towards camera just prior to a presidential address?
    That was without a doubt his thumb. He did flip the bird while he was governor, though. Look DC, I'm not arguing the CSU doesn't have the right to "voice" that opinion, but I certainly question the propriety of it. If that's what our future media think is 'journalism' then the already pathetic state of the media is only going to get worse. If they can't express an intelligent argument they need a new major and CSU needs to work on their journalism department.

As to Bush "chipping away at liberty" one can argue that, but it offends me when I see those on the left argue for that while supporting speech codes, political correctness, taking more of my money to give to someone else and trying to regulate everything from smoking bans on private property to transfats and everything they think we can't decide on for ourselves in between. Seniors were out protesting in NY because they decided to ban doughnuts at the senior citizen center.

Don't talk to me about Bush "chipping away at liberty" unless you're prepared to talk about the rights that are being eroded from the left.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 24, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Seniors were out protesting in NY because they decided to ban doughnuts at the senior citizen center.

I missed that one. This is hilarious. Are the libs worried that 86-year-olds are going to die an "early death" because of trans-fats?

Sometimes the libs make for great humor.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    I missed that one. This is hilarious. Are the libs worried that 86-year-olds are going to die an "early death" because of trans-fats?

Sometimes the libs make for great humor.
    Did you read the article? Absolutely they're worried about that, and apparently this writer is, too since he went to the trouble of quoting Communists for Science in the Public Interest.

"Senior citizens can walk down to the store and buy doughnuts. Nobody's stopping them," said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington.

But he notes that older people have high rates of heart disease and high blood pressure and says senior citizen centers, nursing homes and assisted-living centers should not be worsening the health problems of seniors.
    I'm all for providing balanced nutrition, but as far as I'm concerned if someone's made it to 86 years old they can have all the damn donuts they want, they've earned it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    That was without a doubt his thumb. He did flip the bird while he was governor, though. Look DC, I'm not arguing the CSU doesn't have the right to "voice" that opinion, but I certainly question the propriety of it. If that's what our future media think is 'journalism' then the already pathetic state of of the media is only going to get worse. If they can't express an intelligent argument they need a new major and CSU needs to work on their journalism department.

As to Bush "chipping away at liberty" one can argue that, but it offends me when I see those on the left argue for that while supporting speech codes, political correctness, taking more of my money to give to someone else and trying to regulate everything from smoking bans on private property to transfats and everything they think we can't decide on for ourselves in between. Seniors were out protesting in NY because they decided to ban doughnuts at the senior citizen center.

Don't talk to me about Bush "chipping away at liberty" unless you're prepared to talk about the rights that are being eroded from the left.
    So far as Journalism is concerned, the student was going after facts and had good questions, that sometimes calls for activism. If no one acted-up, blacks would still be using different public places, women would still be at home and gays still in the closet... but then there are people who would love life that way.

You see the incident as a left-right issue, in fact you like many others see most political incidents as a left-right issue, the thing with me is I don’t see any real important difference.

Some of the ‘chipping away’ of rights is written in the instructions to law enforcement for handling political descent coming from the Presidents office; which these police officers complied with.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
    I find this whole incident " reminiscent of Genghis Khan". I think Kerry hired the rent-a -cops. He certainly didn't protest and instead droned on as if nothing was happening in front of him .

Seriously ;does anyone have confirmation that this was police or was it campus security ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I find this whole incident " reminiscent of Genghis Khan". I think Kerry hired the rent-a -cops. He certainly didn't protest and instead droned on as if nothing was happening in front of him .

Seriously ;does anyone have confirmation that this was police or was it campus security ?
    I don't know, but I don't think they were city police; campus security, as you call it, are people with real police powers... think of the University as a city with-in a city. I am however sure we have not heard the last of this and so will be hearing more. Many cities have banned the use of tasers (but not stun guns) because they have been the cause of many deaths.

P.S. edit I'm not even sure it was a taser, it may have only been a stun gun
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55

As I understand it, it was University police which generally have full police powers on school property.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:59 AM
    There are a lot of tangential issues . One being it is absurd that the police could not subdue this clown without the use of props. I saw the video and a couple of them are women Did they have the physical strength to handle him without the use of a device ? If not ;why not ?

I do know that there is no comparison here to Kent State. I find it more comparable to an attention monger who runs on a ball field .Believe me they would prefer getting zapped to the therapeutic massage they receive as an alternative.

BTW ;I hear Kerry recommended him for a Purple Heart .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search