Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hashbear Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Melanoma recurrence
    One year ago at the age of 40 I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma on lower calf,
    The pathology report determined the size to be 1.5 mm and on the Breslow Scale a stage
    4. I had wide excision surgery and a sentinel node biopsy. Mercifully, no cancer had traveled to the nodes. My question is what are my chances of having cancer recur elsewhere in the body and of having another melanoma ? My doctor's response is pretty much live each day to the fullest and don't worry about it. But I think if I had a more definitive statistic it would make it easier for me 'not to worry' about recurrence.
    Any answers/comments would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 21, 2007, 12:02 PM
    According to what I have read, it seems to be that about 8% to 15% of people who have had a melanoma will develop another within 3 years. I read an article on MEDEM about this. So, your chances are pretty good that you won't develop another as long as you take good care of your skin. It can also depend on your total sun exposure over your whole life. Don't worry about it too much. Melanoma can usually be treated successfully if caught early. I would advise that you do a self-exam for skin cancer once a month. Just look all over your body when you get out of the shower and look at hard-to-see parts with a mirror. Get to know what moles and freckles you have, so that you will notice if something changes. Ask your doc how often you should have a skin exam at the doctor. It seems most people should do this at least every six months if they have a history of skin cancer.
    As far as your chances of developing other kinds of cancer, that depends on your genes, habits, and physical condition. Exercise, proper diet, and regular physicals will help prevent cancer, or at least catch it in the early stages. If you have a family history of certain kinds of cancer, or if you do not know your family history, ask your doctor about screening tests appropriate for your age.
    Don't worry about it too much! Stress isn't good for you. You had cancer and beat it! My mom had a melanoma 7 years ago, and she hasn't had anymore since. If you feel that your doctor isn't paying enough attention to your concerns, ask for a second opinion. I hope this helps! Congrats on beating your cancer!:)

Sep 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Thank you for response.
    I am thrilled that I no longer have cancer, what a Blessing !
    It has been a little over a year and it gets less worrisome every day.
    Probably the main thing that frightens me is a story I read in our local paper about a young mother that had melanoma earlier in life and TWELVE full years later it came back and had metasized and it was too far spread for it to be treated successfully. Her original melanoma was much smaller than mine. I have also read several other accounts of recurring melanoma that came back later for example in their lungs ( not as a melanoma.) (this cancer does have the potential of doing that)
    I can definitely check my skin for new moles, freckles, changes, etc. I am very vigilant about that. But it is worrisome that it could recur internally and I wouldn't know until it may be too late.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 23, 2007, 06:43 PM
    What does melanoma look like.I have a few spots that I have been worrying about.I usually go to cancer screenings,but have not been to one in about 3 years.These growths look a little like warts,but one is clear and has a shiny appearance.They all showed up about the same time,I am planning on see a doctor soon.

Sep 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
    My particular melanoma began on the back of my calf as a freckle then I noticed that it changed a little in that it seemed to grow in length rather than width (irregular). After a couple of months of just watching it, I asked my medical doctor about it, he looked at it
    And said it was nothing to worry about. A week or so later I noticed it turned a little darker. I scheduled an appt with my dermatologist it took a month to get in. By that time it had become raised and much darker. He saw it and immediately told me it had to be removed. He called me 2 days later to inform me it was malignant melanoma.
    There are several sights on the web that show pictures of melanoma, I suggest you search for those to compare to yours. But I strongly recommend if you have ANY doubt or
    Questions about skin changes schedule an appt immediately with a dermatologist.
    Good Luck, let me know if I can be of further help. Thanks.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 25, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Thank you for writing back.I am going to see a dermatolagist because it worries me about getting cancer and not having these checked.I fish and get burned by the sun on a regular basis,and I should make it a habit of going to a doctor for a screening.I will let you know how it goes.

Sep 25, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Good, I am glad you are going to schedule an appointment. And Please, Please be sure to wear a good sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection. It is the only defense we have against those dangerous rays ~!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ambrotose + metastatic melanoma [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in Ambrotose. I have Stage IV melanoma. The original melanoma (a mole on my back) was removed in 2001 and has returned via my bloodstream and showed in a tumor located in the subcutaneous tissue of my left arm. This is rare since the first melanoma was not very thick and required...

View more questions Search