Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2bmommy1g Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Need divorce, can't afford an attorney
    My husband has a drinking problem and has caused a great deal of credit problems for himself. I have put the home and cars into my name to make sure they are protected. Now he has lost his job, is drinking even more, I am trying to keep all the bills paid to protect my credit so myself and our three children can start over but I have no money at all to hire an attorney. He has already said he is going to fight me and drag it out. He is still on the deed so there is the issue of property and custody. I definitely need representation. Has anyone been in this situtation or a have any advice on how to get representation when you financially can't afford it. It is getting very negative and hostile in the house and I am scared for me and the children. Also we have no family to help financially or a place to stay. Please help!
    RachelleNH Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Oh my sympathy is with you. I came here for something else.. but been there done that! Email me if you'd like.. but I'd say this. I used legal aid... in Florida. Okay, one thing, I still had to pay 600 dollars in fees, my attorney let me make payments... this might be an option for you if you tell them up front. My ex abandoned us and we had to track him down... so I posted a 200 dollar ad in the newspaper stating that a divorce proceeding was going on... so technially, it's 400, but your county tax collector also offers a DIY (do it yourself program) for about 300 (at least that is what mine costs)
    Hope it helps, God be with you and those babies!
    Rachelle
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I would contact Alcoholics Anonymous. The support group can not only help alcoholics, but also their relatives. Maybe they can put you in touch with a lawyer who would be willing to take your case for free. If he is trying to get custody of the kids, he is obviously an unfit parent, and with no job and blood alcohol levels through the roof, I doubt if any court would take him seriously. An AA support group can help you understand alcoholism and put you in touch with resources. If he is hostile and you are afraid for yourself and the kids, consider calling a local woman's shelter. Under no circumstances should you stay in the house with a violent angry person. People will do things when they're drinking that they would never do sober. You might also contact a local religious organization. You don't have to be a member of the religion to ask them for help. I go to a Methodist church and we always keep pamphlets out about women's shelters and other community resources. We also have a free counseling program to help local people. We put them in touch with the appropriate non-for-profit groups that can help them. Get out the phone book and start making calls. There are a lot of people who will help you if you ask. Don't be afraid to; it's the best thing for you and your kids. Call a women's shelter, AA, a religious organization, of a local mental health center. A mental health center can often provide free counseling to you and your kids and help you understand your husbands addictions. Most lawyers will give you a free consultation. I would go from lawyer to lawyer and I bet you will find one willing to help you for free, or that will let you make payments. At the very least, they can give you some free legal advice. You don't have to go through this difficult time alone. I hope this helps you. I will keep you in my prayer. God bless you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't afford a divorce [ 5 Answers ]

Is there anything that can be done about the costly court fees??

I can't afford it,what can I do. [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I was engaged but the guy left me cold and dry .I am now stuck with a house payment that I can not afford ,I can only afford half of it and the rest goes to my bills.I have lived in this house for about 5 months now and April was the first month that it has not been paid yet.I don't want...

If my wife can't afford a lawyer? [ 9 Answers ]

If my wife can't afford a lawyer in a custody battle what happens then? Will that increase my chances of getting my child?

Can't afford truck payments [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a truck several years ago that I really cannot afford. I have tried to sell it every way I know how (local papers, eBay, on-line, car ads, etc.) to no avail. I've went to numerous car dealerships, both used & new, and they all want to buy the truck (for less than I owe on it) with the...

Afford divorce [ 1 Answers ]

What if she cannot afford a lawyer? Can she get one through a legal aid society?

View more questions Search