Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pramodkpandey Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Hard disk changing
    Can I replace my slave hard disk with another while the PC is on?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
    No
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 21, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Nope, not if it's IDE. I've heard something about being able to do it with SATA, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, if you mean like a BACKUP hard drive, you can do it if it's USB or Firewire.
    muszynskir Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 10:38 PM
    If you want to be able to swap drives live other than your boot drive... install them into external USB cases. There are many on the market reasonably priced. Make sure the case supports the same technology as the hard drive.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2007, 06:39 PM
    It is possible, but I would also not recommend it at all. This could damage your computer and potentially cause future or immediate damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable hard disk disk not opening [ 7 Answers ]

I inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. I then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. But when I...

Formatting the Hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Please let me know - step by step procedure to Format - thank you.

Boot without hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how can we boot our client from network instead of hard disk?? SHAVED DO YOU KNOW THIS? Please help if every one know about this?

Can't see hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I have two hard disks,one of 40 GB and the other of 200 GB.On the first one I had a 10 GB primary partition and a 30 GB extended one.on the primary partition was installed windows xp.n the extended partition there were two logical drives,one of 20 Gb and the other of 10 GB.I had installed linux on...

Hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

BIOS detects the hard disk and but in hard disk configuration I did not see the cylindar and Track and Sector are there. Will send me the suggestion to repair my hard disk. Deep

View more questions Search