Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttbrowneyez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 05:08 AM
    Can I still go to school in Texas with a felony?
    I live in Texas and I am interested in Criminal Justice and Psychology, but I am a felon. It is a non violent charge. I am wondering if I can still go to school and be able to get a job in this field with my conviction.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:40 AM
    I would think that you could go to school. But, as far as getting a job in the criminal justice system after being convicted of a felony, I think would be very hard to do.

Usually, to work in a place that concerns criminal justice, your record needs to be free from blemishes. But, I would think that there might be exceptions based upon what you have learned about the crime that you committed and how you feel about it. A person with a background of committing a crime who also wants to help others to not commit crimes I would think would be an asset to a department devoted to such a thing.

Hopefully, others with more expertise in this area will come along to answer also.
    CollegeBoundExCon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
    You can do whatever you want. Employment will depend on the person conducting the interview and the institutions guidelines. And as far as getting into criminal justice, look at Judge Mathis. He may be a Judge on Tv but his story is real. He committed a felony and is now a judge making bank I'm sure. Also, your felony will one day not even be a question. Just don't screw up anymore. I also have a non violent felony conviction and am about to start college here in Atlanta, Georgia. Mine was committed over 5 years ago and I have not been in trouble since besides speeding tickets. In a recent job hunt I noticed that no one here really looks down on felonies that are more than 7 years old. You may also be able to get your record expunged. That depends on the laws of Texas. All in all - If you have the passion and drive, then there is no reason you can't achieve what you want. My advice is to get the education now so you can use it later. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
    You will not be able to be a police officer, but may be a private security.
    You may be able to be a correctional officer in many states with some felony. What is the job you want, check with that agency before you invest too much time.
    beach_1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 11:53 AM
    In the state of Texas as long it was not a viol. Crime after 10 years from the charge does not matter anymore but the law enfor. Office your going through can still hold it against you but it takes 10 years after the charge date for the state of Texas will realese a law enforcement lic. To you and if your to old by then can you pass the academy that is the ?
    beach_1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
    The same goes for private law firms also they have to go through fed req. which is even harder to get tru you have more of a chance working for a Texas state prison which school would be a waste of time so pick another major or get ready to be a under paid prison guard like my wife the sad thing is if you get your charge defer. In court it still shows up
    jgonz103089 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
    I was put on defered adjudificatio for a felony drug charge and successfully completed it. Is there any chance I can become a police officer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

What do you attend school for when you have a felony [ 7 Answers ]

What do you attend school for when you have a felony conviction?

Finding a job in Texas with Felony DWI [ 1 Answers ]

I am a surgical technician by trade. Have done it for 18 yrs. I got my last DWI 5 yrs ago and it became a felony. I am having touble finding a job now. Any job. Anyone know who I should talk to about getting a job (any job) with a felony DWI in Tx.

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search