Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffSav Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Blockage Question
    I've read many of the archived posts here and still have some questions about how to handle this. Noticed yesterday that when the bathtub in second floor was draining, the toilet in the basement started bubbling water up (seemed to happen after the 2nd bath for my kids). I had no idea what was going on and when I plunged it, I saw water coming up from the adjacent shower stall in basement bathroom. Things were fine afterward and the toilet flushes OK, but it seems safe to assume there is some blockage. FYI, the house is only about 10 years old and there are no trees in the front. I'd suspect blockage due to hair/grease, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm assuming this need to be snaked, augered, etc, but is there any chance I can break up this blockage without getting a plumber in? Any kind of chemicals I can try using? If so, would I pour them through the basement toilet or from the 2nd floor bathtub? I don't want to mess with snaking any of the cleanouts or vents, so I'd probably just get a plumber. But if I can avoid the expense, that would be good. Also, any idea of what kind of expense would be involved in having someone come out and unclog it if necessary? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 03:44 AM
    This is a job for a plumber - at least to start.

The good news is that you know that the problem is past (as the water flows) the point where the smaller house drains and downstairs toilet go into
    The stack.

You can rent an electric snake for the job but without experience, you'll find it a royal chore.

In my area snaking a main drain out to the city main runs between $100 and $200 depending on what trouble they run into along the way.

Oct 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
    What are the experts' opinions on the use of chemicals for blockages? I saw a product at Home Depot that was supposed to be used to clear blockages in the main line. I believe it was lye-based and it was recommended to pour in a basement drain and allow to sit for 8 hours before running some hot water through. I realize snaking the proper way is probably the best way to clear any blockages, just wondering the pros/cons of the other (i.e. chemicals) way. Thanks...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2005, 04:20 AM
    Good morning Jeff,
    I am no fan of using harsh chemicals in your drainage system, especially if you have a septic tank. They never seem to work except in the TV ads.
    The downside for a plumber is that if lye or acid based cleaners build up behind a blockage the plumber has to work in that mess to snake and clear the blockage. This can really hurt if you have a open cut on your hands or the loss of your sight if a pipe lets go overhead and dumps lye water all over your head. In my book the only way to clear a clog is to snake it out.
    Hey you asked! Cheers, Tom
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2005, 09:54 AM
    I, also, rarely use chemicals. Lately I did so on my upstairs shower drain (I've got an excuse: There's 8 of us!) but cannot think of the last time I did.

Physically removing (or moving to the main) is the way to go for blockages.
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 02:58 AM
    Has this always happened or is it something new that you noticed? Sounds to me like it's a venting problem, and when you pull the plug on the tub the water flowing past the toilet connection on the soil pipe is siphoning your toilet. Maybe your vent is clogged?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theBigkill
    has this always happened or is it something new that you noticed? sounds to me like its a venting problem, and when you pull the plug on the tub the water flowing past the toilet connection on the soil pipe is siphoning your toilet. maybe your vent is clogged?
    Big Kill missed the point. There is no water being siphoned out of the toilet. That would indeed indicate a blocked vent as would "gurgling" in the traps.
    Quite the opposite in this case. You have "bubbling" which indicates back pressure which in turn indicates a partial blockage downstream from the toilet that's doing the bubbling. Regards, Tom

Oct 12, 2005, 08:50 PM
    OK, I admit it, I tried the chemical approach, pouring it down the shower stall in the basement which is just "upstream" from the toilet. It seemed to be OK and I didn't notice any bubbling in the last week or so. Well tonight after my 3 kids took baths (2nd floor) and went crazy with the bubble bath I noticed foam almost coming out of the basement toilet.

So, no more chemicals and I will just call a plumber tomorrow so it gets properly taken care of. Couple questions... is there any chance that it could be snaked from the shower stall drain, which is adjacent to the toilet? Or is it impossible to tell whether the snake would run into a dead end? Is snaking through the vent in the roof the best way to go? I'd just like to make sure that whatever plumber I get knows what he's doing. Thanks for all the help.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2005, 05:26 AM
    [QUOTE=JeffSav] Couple questions... is there any chance that it could be snaked from the shower stall drain, which is adjacent to the toilet? Or is it impossible to tell whether the snake would run into a dead end? Is snaking through the vent in the roof the best way to go? QUOTE]

Yes, you may snake through the shower drain and not hit any "dead ends". However, you'll have to navagate the return bend in the trap in the shower while the roof vent has no traps to get around. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible Blockage Main Stack Vent [ 1 Answers ]

The two toilets and the tub in the upstairs bathrooms are plugged and will not drain or flush. There is a gurgling sound when we flush or try to plunge the toilets. I have been told by a plumber that he thinks the main stack vent is blocked. How can I unstopped or clear the main stack vent? Are...

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search