Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andeevans Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten?
    I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but he bites the smaller one constantly, rolling onto his back and holding him with his paws. The small kitten cries, hisses and tries to bite back. Both cats are free of diseases. I was told that 2 male kittens would grow up together and be pals. Is this true? Ive separated them and both kittens cry constantly if they are not in the same room with me. I know I will have to separate them when I go to sleep, but which one do I isolate? My older kitten is so affectionate. Will this change? I want to bond with the smaller kitten, but I don't want to neglect the older one.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 08:51 PM
    I have 3 females 1 male and they range from around 11 years old to 1 1/2. I can say that yours are at a good age to bond. Whether we humans like it or not 1 will be the boss. At night I would let them both sleep with me until they started the playing then I would put the kitten in a carrier and sit it beside my bed or on a night stand ->making sure it can't fall off. When they had to be left alone I would confine 1 of them so that the playing did not get out of hand, at least till the 7 week old had time to catch up in the weight department. If there is a tiny crack under the door they will still interact, by sticking their paws under the door and swatting at each other. I do not use cat nip with my cats as they seem to get weird. They will also fight over toys that have cat nip in them. Just my experience , use your judgement. The confined kitty will need a litter box as well as water, maybe a small amount of kitten food. I think they will get along just find esp. since you had them neutered. My neighbor her 3 cats and 2 fosters at the moment and they do just fine they are all male. Good Luck

Sep 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Awww... thanks so much. Im almost in tears here ;( Mylo, the 11 week old, I think is just playing too hard, but he is biting Koal, the 7 week old, to the point that he cries hysterically. Is this normal play and Mylo is just being too rough, or is it a territory thing?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:15 PM
    He is probably just being to rough. I rescued/fostered 2 kittens last spring twin sisters and sometimes I thought they were out for blood. When they acted this way I separated them. Honey don't be so upset it will all work out.

Sep 20, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Thank you.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Does Mylo stop when the little one cries out? If he does, then really it's just cats learning how hard to play. Trust me... cats play extremely roughly. If the ears are staying pricked up (instead of plastered back), the tussling is relatively slow, the cats stop playing when one cries out, and (perhaps most importantly) the little one goes back for more if you break them up, then it's probably just play.

But you might want to keep them separate for now. Let them play footsie under the door, until it seems that they really want to be together. And try to give them some one-on-one play time with you. Easier to do if someone can take the other cat into a different room and play with it, and then switch off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My older cat will not accept my new kitten! [ 5 Answers ]

Ive recently rescued a naughty tortie from the cats protection league, she has settled in very well, but my 12 year old tortie will not accept her atall, she hisses every time she sees the kitten, and then makes her self sick... we had to take her to the vets last night as she was acting strange,...

New kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I...

New kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a 2 months old kitten and I would like to have some infos and advices about cat.. Is it OK to bathe him?. feed him from our food and meals? How much time does he need to get used to his name? I'm calling him NIMO, but he isn't responding to the name till now.. I would appriciate...

My Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten got out during her very first heat(Ithink it was Septhember), now last night she was lying on my bed and her belly was moving all over, so I am sure she has kittens, how do I know when she is ready to give brth? Thank you

New Kitten [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a kitten supposedly 7 weeks old. It doesn't eat much at all and is very skinny. To the point you can feel boes easily. Probably the runt. Should I be concerned and what can I do to get my kitty eating more to fatten up a bit.

View more questions Search