Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hjcuba Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Can corian be affected with paint remover
    A home owner asked me to resurface his kitchen counter top that it was previously painted by other guy, when I asked him what material he has underneath, he told me corian and he showed me the bathroom one, burn amber corian, whoa! I don't know what to do, I think that if we remove the very bad paint finishing job and repair the possible scratches sanding it out it going to look better, but my question is, Can I use paint remover over corian?
    Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Everything I have read so far says not to subject corian to strong chemicals such as paint remover. Sorry, but that's as far as it got. I guess you will have to go directly to the manufacturer for further info.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 06:47 AM
    If the ugly paint job is adhereing your can sand it with 220 grit and feather any imperfections. I'd primer with Zinsser 123 Bullseye and repaint with a good epoxy. Paint remover may hurt Corian but what the heck it is going to be painted anyway so you could try it. Make sure the home owner understands that you are trying to repair someone else's screw up and there may be complications.
    heaphy Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hjcuba
    A home owner asked me to resurface his kitchen counter top that it was previously painted by other guy, when I asked him what material he has underneath, he told me corian and he showed me the bathroom one, burn amber corian, whoa! I don't know what to do, I think that if we remove the very bad paint finishing job and repair the possible scratches sanding it out it going to look better, but my question is, Can I use paint remover over corian?
    Thank you
    I work with Corian professionally. Even small amounts of paint remover WILL damage Corian. Lots of paint remover will damage Corian severely. Corian is made of acrylic resin and most modern paints are also made with acrylics.

You can remove paint from Corian by scraping, perhaps; or by sanding with a random orbit sander with a vacuum hose attached.
    heaphy Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Yes, I did read that he is planning to repaint. The problem is that paint stripper will etch the surface of the Corian severely, and result in an uneven, soft, blotchy, gummy surface. It will not be a surface suitable for a good repainting job. Scraping and/or sanding the old paint off the Corian, in my opinion, is a much better technique than using paint stripper. I mean no disrespect to ballengerb1 and I am sure that he is very knowledgeable about many things. However, I am an expert in Corian maintenance and repair, and I know from 24 years of experience that paint stripper and Corian do not work well together.

- Jim Heaphy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black spot remover [ 2 Answers ]

Hie Am mellisah and am new to this site but I find it interesting. About 2 years ago I suffered from chicken pox which left me with so many black spots on my thighs and legs.I have tried to use some soaps but it didn't help.I feel embarrassed because I can't put on mini skirts .Could you please...

Odor remover [ 3 Answers ]

We have found some dead rats in our crawlspace under the house, and it smells inside our house. How can I get rid of the odor?

Is my fetus affected? [ 18 Answers ]

I just found out that I am about 1 month pregnant today and unfortunately during this past month, I had been smoking weed occasionally, and I had a few drinks on two occasions. I had no idea I was pregnant and if I knew I was I would not abuse any of these substances. So my question is, is it...

How can I not be affected by weight? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am a 17 year old male who is obsessed by weight sexually. I really don't understand why I find it attractive but I find it scary that I have this fetish. I really want it to go away on its own but if there is anything I can do to help myself I want to try. Ever since 8th grade, I looked at...

View more questions Search