Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hippie mii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Probability - babies
    98% of all babies survive delivery. However, 15% of all births involve Cesarean (C) sections, and when a C section is performed the baby survives 96% of the time.
    If a randomly chosen pregnant woman does not have a C section, what is the probability that her baby survives??

please help I cannot figure this out.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
    You can assume a number and fill in a chart. Makes these problems much easier.
    Assume 1000 pregnat women.

Code:
                                   SURVIVE           NOT SURVIVE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------  
                            |                            |                   |
    CAESAREAN      |             144                       6             150
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                             |                           |
                             |      836                |    14          |   850
    NO CAESAREAN  |                           |
                             |                           |                  |

980                       20                 1000
    The probability a baby survives given the woman did not have a C-section is ?

I hope you can understand the chart. It got rather discombobulated.
    hippie mii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I believe this chart says that the intersection of the event that the baby survives and the event that the woman does not have a C section is 836/1000 or .836
    I think to get the answer to the original question "Given the woman does not have a c section, what is the probability that her baby survives?" you must take the intersection the two events above which is .836 and divide by the probability that the woman does not have a C section which is .85
    this should give the final answer which is .9835

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

All I can think about is babies! [ 4 Answers ]

I am 24 and about to get married in the next few months and recently I have become completely obsessed with wanting to have a baby. I am completely aware that the timing is wrong and I can honestly say that if I found out I was pregnant tomorrow I would not be in the right place. My fiancé and I...

Babies crying [ 23 Answers ]

Well now that we're all back home and *somewhat* back to a normal routine, I'm starting to think again about the baby I will be having. I'm due in mid-June, right around Father's Day actually, haha. Anyway, I've been starting to ask (and receive) a lot of baby advice from family and friends. Most...

I Need Help With My Two Babies [ 6 Answers ]

Hey! I'm married got 2 little cute girls one of them is a year and two months old and the other is almost amonth. I want to know how to take care of them both and take care of the house, the cooking and myself, I don't sleep much cause I don't have time to do all that. My one year old she's...

Babies [ 4 Answers ]

Are a babies eyes full size at birth I heard that they are. Nose and ears grow, but eyes are full size at birth true or false?

Babies. [ 15 Answers ]

I just had a baby on Friday and I was wondering if I could give my baby water, and if so what type?

View more questions Search