Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jyurong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
    "Evicting" a family Member in Virginia
    I need to know what the legal aspects ar of "evicting" my Brother. He is 19 years old and still at home. He did not finish high school and has this "I can do whatever I want" attitude. My mother is at her wits end and she does not want him in the house anymore. The agreement was (Verbal nothing in writing) that he could stay at home as long as he either:

A. Worked a full time Job
    B. Was a full time student in a GED program
    C. paid $300 a month and his own cell phone.

So far he has not worked, went to one GED class and never went back, and in the last 6 months has given $200 towards the household bills. I want to know if he is considered a tenant. If not, what are the legal implications of changing the locks, and putting his stuff in a storage unit in his name?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
    First off, I'll qualify this by telling you I don't specialize in rentals. I have been reviewing the VA Code because your question interested me and I am trying to increase my knowledge of VA Code in this area.

As I understand it, your brother does not qualify as a "tenant" in the eyes of Virginia because he does not pay rent and does not have an agreement to occupy a room.

Now that he is over 18, he is an adult and a guest of your mother and she can revoke her permission or license to remain in her home. She must ask him to leave and if she doesn't, I believe she is within her rights to have his personal items removed and the locks changed. Unless he is on the deed or mortgage the house, he has no recourse. I'll repeat - as I understand it. Virginia doesn't have established residency laws as some other states which require more formal eviction procedures.

The code is here LIS > Code of Virginia > 55-248.2
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Change the locks... he is not a tenant... he is an unwanted guest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a family member [ 1 Answers ]

My dad, brother & I leave in the same house we have a cousin how moved in on a temporary basis, she doesn't pay rent, she will not lift a finger to help clean the house my father is 74yrs old and still is picking up after her, when I asked her to help me clean the house when I was on crutches after...

Evicting a renter of "booth" in a salon [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to evict a teneant from my beauty salon? I cannot find out anything about the renters rights or mine. I have a girl in my salon that I need to get out as easily as possible. She has been passive aggressively harassing me and other renters, even clients....

Evicting family member [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of years ago my brother's house was being foreclosed on. He asked my sister and her husband to buy it and let him live in it and he would make payments. They did that to help him out. However, he has continually failed to make the payments as he agreed to and only has made a couple in...

Evicting a family member [ 4 Answers ]

Can I evict a my son without going to court?

View more questions Search