Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillhanna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
    My son will not come out of his room.
    My son just turned 18. He has reclused into his room and will not come out unless I am gone, or in bed. He does not have any friends, a car, a job anymore. I cannot get him to talk to me. He has never raised his voice to me but he shows me no respect by ignoring me constantly. He will not talk to any members of the family.
    I have told him to get a job otherwise I would kick him out. He has made it clear he will not get a job, and that he will stay there until I kick him out. He tells me things are none of my business. He has never been this way before, I am really worried, however I'm exhausted and fed up with his attitude and lack of respect for me.
    He has never voiced anything, but his behavior is definitely not normal, anyone who stays in room for 7 months not contact to the outside world, its got to do something. He swears to me that he is not depressed. I am afraid that his behavior is so bizarre that he could end up a threat to society. What can I do? :confused:
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Honestly he sounds depressed.

Did he lose his job? Are his friends off to college? What happened to the people who were in his life?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Honestly he sounds depressed.

Did he lose his job? Are his friends off to college? What happened to the people who were in his life?
    I agree with Glinda,
    Where did his friends go?
    Have any of them recently moved?
    Lost his girlfriend?

Or any other people close to him?
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Sep 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
    If it were me... I'd pack his stuff up for him and let him know you mean business and are still the Parent and that is YOUR home. He might be depressed, but he doesn't have to disrepect you or your family. "Kids" at that age are very head strong... ( I know, my baby is 18, so I've been through 3 others! ) Stay strong !
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
    It sounds like depression. What exactly happened 7 months ago? Is there any way to get medical advice or counseling. Something must have happened to him. As far as ignoring you, well, he obviously has his reasons. Sometimes pushing somebody to get out or even trying to do things to force him out will make the situation worse. It just all depends on what is going on, but it has been going on way too long I think you need to speak to a professional to get guidance on what to do.
    JamieLynn Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Sep 28, 2007, 08:20 AM
    If you kick him out it will teach him a lesson. That's what my parents did to me. Is it possible that he is on drugs, that's why I was kicked out, I was staying in my room all the time doing drugs and my parents found out. They noticed I was acting different and always in my room then they decided to walk in on me and threw me out till I got smart and sobered up. Im clean now, even if drugs aren't the case it might help to kick him out, don't worry he'll be back
    fh513 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0
    -

Sep 28, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Of course your son is so depression, he need immediate attention and contact the doctor for anti-depression medicines or else! Not quite normal for him to be in his room all the time, is he on the computer? Hope he doesn't do something stupid, do something about it now. He's just hiding himself in the shell than facing out of the world around him.
    fh513 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0
    -

Sep 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillhanna
    My son just turned 18. He has reclused into his room and will not come out unless I am gone, or in bed. He does not have any friends, a car, a job anymore. I cannot get him to talk to me. He has never raised his voice to me but he shows me no respect by ignoring me constantly. He will not talk to any members of the family.
    I have told him to get a job otherwise I would kick him out. He has made it clear he will not get a job, and that he will stay there until I kick him out. He tells me things are none of my business. He has never been this way before, I am really worried, however I'm exhausted and fed up with his attitude and lack of respect for me.
    He has never voiced anything, but his behavior is definitely not normal, anyone who stays in room for 7 mos not contact to the outside world, its got to do something. He swears to me that he is not depressed. I am afraid that his behavior is so bizarre that he could end up a threat to society. What can I do? :confused:
    I suggest you to contact Dr. Phil or Maury to get him into boot camp!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 09:20 AM
    You know normally on adult children living at home, that will not work and help around the house, I am the first to pack their clothes,change the locks and put them out.

But this does sound like one of two things, one a drepression or other mental illnesss or possible drug usage, if it is drug usage I don't have a problem setting them out either. But you need to get them to a doctor to find the real issues.
    lasbell Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Sep 28, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillhanna
    He has never voiced anything, but his behavior is definitely not normal, anyone who stays in room for 7 mos not contact to the outside world, its got to do something. He swears to me that he is not depressed. I am afraid that his behavior is so bizarre that he could end up a threat to society. What can I do? :confused:
    Kick him out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making son sleep in other room [ 2 Answers ]

Making son sleep in other room

My son will not come out of his room. [ 2 Answers ]

My son just turned 18. He has reclused into his room and will not come out unless I am gone, or in bed. He does not have any friends, a car, a job anymore. I cannot get him to talk to me. He has never raised his voice to me but he shows me no respect by ignoring me constantly. He will not talk...

Who did you have in the deliery room? [ 16 Answers ]

I know I want my fiancé in there with me, but I don't know about my mom and mother in law. They're the type who keep giving me advice that I am sick of hearing. You know the "you should do this, you should do that, don't do this, dont do that, well I did this and it was okay, I didnt do this so you...

Room odor [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just moved into a dormitory room. She says the room smells of body odor. How does she get rid of this smell? She aleady bought room freshiner. Would painting the room help?

View more questions Search