Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RonPrice Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 08:16 AM
    The Architecture of My Days
    SOME ENCHANTRESS

I had a desire to create, to recreate, the world I had grown accustomed to, was comfortable with at last, but which I was also getting tired of, was growing old with, was losing. The desire to capture, to fix, to preserve the world I had lived in and was experiencing with varying degrees of joy, fatigue, enthusiasm and emptiness, came on me gradually as I approached my fiftieth year. So I began to write with a passion, a purpose, at times a pride, and nearly always a poetic inclination. -Ron Price with thanks to Max Putzel, “Overture”, Genius of Place: William Faulkner’s Triumphant Beginnings, Louisiana State UP, Baton Rouge, 1985, pp.1-12.

Poetry became a way of defining,
    Expressing, the discomforts, the comforts,
    The way it was now, then, when.
    It became part of my map:
    My narrow world and wide vistas,
    My invasion of outer worlds by inner worlds,
    A certain improvisation, a fusion of sound
    And sense, understanding my landscape.

It passed through me like a storm-wind,
    Like a gentle breeze, the warm sun of day,
    The cool evening freshness after the heat.
    Doors of perception were flung open,
    Pressing the architecture of my days
    With their subtle power, composing
    And conceiving with some enchantress,
    In my soul, nameless, inexplicable elegancies.

Ron Price
    15 April 1996
    RonPrice Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 05:35 AM
    More On Life's Architecture
    CONNECT

Architecture, from the earliest times, has served to impress an idea on people by means of the splendour of its expression. Architecture can inspire awe for the heavenly powers and it can possess an educative function. Generally, in architecture, it is better to ere on the side of conservatism. In building, memory is reality; it is better to recycle existing forms of beauty. It is in formality that we find a certain basis for sanity. This is also true of the architecture of one’s life: formality, conservatism, the inspiration of beauty, memory—they all all critical elements in the overall design of one’s life. -Ron Price with thanks to Bertrand Russell, In Praise of Idleness, George Allen and Unwin Ltd. 1935, p.47 and Robert Hughes, The Shock of the New: Art and the Century of Change, BBC, London, 1980, p.211. :eek:

Beauty seems to require that we take
    ourselves a little more seriously---
    connect our lives somehow with the
    deeper roots of truth and creativity.

This terraced landscape I see here,
    green and white with a formality,
    it seems to speak in complicated ways
    about relationships, hints, uncertainties
    and contradictions; it does not force
    meaning; it emerges, adds up, unfolds
    from history’s tortured, complex, scape.
    Signs endlessly suggest, take me through
    a process of discovery, educate my very being.

I’m thrust into history’s matrix
    gradually appropriating its meaning.

Ron Price
    18 October 1996 :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Architecture, processor and graphics (v3035tu and v3029au) [ 7 Answers ]

I need information regarding the intel and AMD processor.. what architecture Intel core duo processor T2250 @ 1.73GHz (compaq presario v3035tu) posses? Is it 64 bit... what about compaq presario v3039au... what is the difference between compaq presario v3029tu and v3035tu w.r.t processor speed?...

F1 to H1 - just 5 days on F1 [ 6 Answers ]

To Atlantataxexpert I have followed your posts on this forum and request your advice on my case. I am an Indian citizen working on H1B. My H1 started on Jan 6, 2005 and I was on OPT (F1) from Jan 1 to Jan 5, 2005, I was outside the US from Dec 5 to Dec 31, 2005. If I am not wrong, I pass the...

Architecture [ 1 Answers ]

What famous architectural structure had a dangerous problem upon completion, when panes of glass would pop out and crash on the street below? The World Trade Center, The John Hancock Building, The Chrysler Building, or the Sears Tower Building?

Architecture essay:henri van de velde [ 1 Answers ]

I've got to write an essay on the differing views of the work of henri van de velde in the interiors of the folkwang musuem in germany. The problem is I just can't find any information on the place, let alone any views. Does anyone have any information that could help me?

View more questions Search