Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wuggawugga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 09:07 AM
    What are possible causes for overheating 1994 Toyota Camry V6
    Hi,

My Camry started to overheat a few days ago when sitting in traffic or moving at low speeds and as well there is a loud 'whirring' sound (like an old Jeep) coming from the engine when it gets hot. Travelling at highway speeds it appears fine and doesn't overheat.

Coolant had been low but I topped it up - very concerned that my gf's sister buggered it up when she took the car out for a long distance drive on the weekend (she didn't bother doing a fluid check) and my head gasket is shot.

Will be replacing thermostat today and getting a radiator flush.

Some other possible causes I researched were:

Plugged catalytic
    Fan not working (will be confirming today)
    Water pump not spinning at correct rate due to belt slippage
    Plugged up radiator (will be confirming today too)

Are there any other possible causes I can check myself or that I need a mechanic to look at?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggawugga
    Hi,

My Camry started to overheat a few days ago when sitting in traffic or moving at low speeds and as well there is a loud 'whirring' sound (like an old Jeep) coming from the engine when it gets hot. Travelling at highway speeds it appears fine and doesn't overheat.

Coolant had been low but I topped it up - very concerned that my gf's sister buggered it up when she took the car out for a long distance drive on the weekend (she didn't bother doing a fluid check) and my head gasket is shot.

Will be replacing thermostat today and getting a radiator flush.

Some other possible causes I researched were:

plugged catalytic
    fan not working (will be confirming today)
    water pump not spinning at correct rate due to belt slippage
    plugged up radiator (will be confirming today too)

Are there any other possible causes I can check myself or that I need a mechanic to look at?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    Those items can be a cause. Good list!
    There's possibility a head gasket may be failing.. are you losing coolant or seeing white smoke/steam at the tailpipe?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Most engine overheating problems are directly attributable to poor preventive maintenance. Attention to detail makes a big difference. It's best to change coolant every 3 years with a 50/50 mixture of recommended antifreeze and distilled water. It's good practice to remove engine drain plugs during this process. Today, it's important to only use the antifreeze recommended by the car's manufacturer. There are huge differences in the types of antifreeze and using the wrong one can have disastrous consequences. Don't take a chance and use the wrong antifreeze. Honda recommends using an antifreeze that doesn't contain silicates or borates. Silicates are abrasive and cause premature water pump bearing seal wear, which greatly shortens the life of the bearing. Once antifreeze gets into the bearing, it will not last long. It's also important to use distilled water, because tap, well, and softened water can cause unforeseen problems. Tap and well water are loaded with minerals that can buildup and block radiator and heating cores. When this happens, the radiator or heater core must be removed and roded or replaced. Soft water is known to weaken solder joints and cause corrosion, due to salts in the water. Keep in mind that chemical reactions increase with temperature. With the high heat of modern engines, it doesn't take long for caustic steam and heat to corrode, overheat, and damage an aluminum block engine not properly maintained.

It's also important to regularly change radiator and heater hoses. Most experts recommend changing all hoses every 4 to 7 years. Inspect hoses regularly for softness, bulges, and deterioration. Pay particular attention to the top radiator hose. Internal deterioration may be almost impossible to detect. Therefore, don't be "penny wise and pound foolish" and try pushing things too far. Many aluminum heads and valve trains have had to be replaced, due to hose failure. The repair bill can easily be $2,300 or more. All it takes is allowing an aluminum head engine to overheat once. Never drive a car that is overheating--have it towed.

Common causes of overheating:

1. Insufficient coolant.
    2. Radiator core blocked--mineral buildup and corrosion are the most common causes.
    3. Faulty thermostat--sticking closed.
    4. Faulty radiator cap--doesn't maintain proper pressure.
    5. Inoperative water pump--pinch the top radiator hose closed with your hand, while the engine is idling, then release it. You should be able to feel a surge of coolant, if the pump is working properly. Change the water pump every time you change the timing belt.
    6. Deteriorated/damaged hoses.
    7. Cooling fan not operating properly.
    8. Improper grade of engine oil--higher viscosity oil generates more internal friction and heat. Synthetic engine oils have higher coefficients of heat than conventional oils, which allows bearings and engines to run cooler.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I'd say from your description, that the radiator fan is giving up. I replace a lot of radiators on these older Camry's, and they're surprisingly inexpensive.
    If it were me, I'd just go and do that if the water pump and motor check out OK.
    kyoung920 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Diddo check fan to make sure it is working if not could be as simple as a relay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1989 Toyota Camry [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 89 Camry when I put the key in the ignition and try to crank it and it won't crank it is manual and the only way it cranks over is when I push it what could it be? Please answer ASAP I would appreciate it Thank You

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

96 toyota camry stereo amp [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the amp located and how do I get to it?

View more questions Search