Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Autism Discussion on Oprah
    For those of you with children who have autism or those who know someone who knows someone on the spectrum please check out yesterday's Oprah. Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson Peete were on talking about their challenges raising a child with autism. They also brought up some wonderful points about early intervention, vaccinations, and support. Jenny McCarthy has also written a book entitled Louder than Words a Mother's Journey in Healing Autism. While I have not checked the book out yet, her perceptions and insight on the show was amazing.

Check out Get Health, Beauty, Recipes, Money, Decorating and Relationship Advice on Oprah.com.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I watched this show and believe this is a step in the right direction.I believe my child is on the spectrum,but does not have Autism.He had an MRI a few days ago,and a neurosurgeon will give us his conclusion about what may be going on with my son.He has many characteristics that autism presents,but is very loving and enjoys direct contact with people.He only speaks using one word at a time,but understands what is being said to him.If physicians are not willing to listen to us about our concerns and treatments that may improve our children's condition,we can lean on others that are dealing with the same issues.It is sad that doctors are so closed minded about treatment for these children,but I have found many agencies that have made the problems I was facing,a little easier to handle.If you are not happy with the treatment your child is receiving,use the internet or phone book to find the help that you need.My child was allowed to start school at age 3,and is already showing great improvement with his language and behavior.Having a child with speech and behavior problems is not something that will heal on it's own,and your child deserves a chance to catch up in life.
    jami2dope Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Interesting that I would come across this question. I did not see this episode of Oprah but I just started reading Jenny McCarthys book. My mother gave it to me. I have a 6 yr. old son with Autism and do not usually have time or energy to sit down and read but I found that it is pretty easy reading. I can even read 10 min. or so while waiting for my sons bus or if I am waiting for an appt. and even if I am distracted I can come right back and pick up where I left off. It has been along time since I dared to try to read a book you know. Will update when I finish. Thanks for being interested in the world of Autism. Jami
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jami2dope
    Interesting that I would come across this question. I did not see this episode of Oprah but I just started reading Jenny McCarthys book. My mother gave it to me. I have a 6 yr. old son with Autism and do not usually have time or energy to sit down and read but I found that it is pretty easy reading. I can even read 10 min. or so while waiting for my sons bus or if I am waiting for an appt. and even if I am distracted I can come right back and pick up where I left off. It has been along time since I dared to try to read a book ya know. Will update when I finish. Thanks for being interested in the world of Autism. Jami

Jami-
    Please do update us. I am an educator of children with Autism (Aspergers) and I love having conversations with parents. I find it insightful and helpful when working with my students.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oprah neslon mandela song? [ 1 Answers ]

I was watching Oprah today and saw the episode where she was in africa. She was greating nelson mandela and a song came on I have no idea what is called does anyone know? I know its an out there question.

Smoking and autism [ 1 Answers ]

Im giving up smoking. (Begrudgingly!) as I have recently found out that I am pregnant. However I have since heard a rumour that smoking and in particular nicotine can cause autism. If so should I not stop using the nicotine patches that my doctor has prescribed for me?! Help!

Oprah Show Yesterday [ 2 Answers ]

Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? Guests were John Edwards and the Ms. Dubios (the show Medium is based on her). I found it to be very interesting. What did others think?

Autism Disscussion Requested [ 10 Answers ]

My little 3 year-old nephew has been diagnosed with Austism. Can I find information somewhere on this site from someone who's tried chelation therapy for heavy metals including mercury blood levels? Perhaps there is another area that this is being discussed? I'm sure this is considered...

Autism [ 2 Answers ]

Is autism curable? And to what extent autitic person can be adapted to ordinary life?

View more questions Search