Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorax16 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
    $3K Fender Bender
    Hi. Just thought I'd ask a few professionals before I deplete my bank account. I was involved in a fender bender while I was parallel parking my Subaru Outback on a quiet side street in Queens. A woman driving by as I was turning in to the tricky spot, hit my passenger side front fender and cracked the casing around that headlamp. Or if you look at it the other way, I hit her driver's side denting and scratching her car. She did not speak english and I was speaking to her huspband on her cell phone in minutes. He sounded rational and knowledgeable about the process, and I am a transplanted New Yorker who is a careful but not the most comfortable or experienced driver. The husband basically said that we should not call the police as it will up my insurance rate and it was my fault as the parker who should be watching out for approaching vehicles, and we could settle this by my paying for everything. My wife didn't help matters for me by agreeing that it was indeed my fault and they should send us the bill. So I give the woman all my info (I don't get her info) and no pictures were taken.
    The repair costs to my car are estimated at $1200.00. The estimate for their car is $2000.00!
    Can I call the lizard people ( my insurance co.) and expect any payment whatsoever? Must I assume that it was all my fault (if so I can justify paying for the repairs) or was I misled?
    Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2007, 07:35 AM
    The car in the main roadway has the right of way. So it would most likely be deemed your fault. However, especially with Geico, that does not mean your rates will automatically go up. Especially if you haven't made previous claims. I bought a new car and switched to Geico and less than a month later was involved in a similar accident trying to maneauver into a parking slot. I reported it to Geico, they paid the repair and my rates never went up.

Call them, report what happened and let them take care of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 09:04 AM
    IF you were parking, going into the parking space, from the main road and they did not wait for you to finish parking it should be their fault,

If you were pulling out of the parking space, it would be your fault.
    It is always a real big red flag when someone does not want the police called, esp if they say they are not at fault

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small fender bender [ 8 Answers ]

My mother hit some person's old car with her SUV. The person pointed at some rust/scratch no more than half an inch long and demanded money. My mother complained that the rust isn't from her car. The person copied my mother's name and driver's license but NOT the insurance info. My mother gave him...

Fender bender [ 3 Answers ]

I was involved in a fender bender wherein a 18 wheeler scratched the left back side of my car. I had just merged into the lane and traffic was not moving after that. Suddenly the 18 wheeler moved forward and made a dent in the rear left side of my car. The truck's insurance co denied my claim...

Teen fender bender with no insurance [ 9 Answers ]

My teenager got into a fender bender and the vehilce she hit was a older SUV and our car is a 4 door small vehicle. The other driver was a teenager as well and had 2 other teen age passengers in the car. They pulled over and was asked if they were okay and everyone said yes. The gave each others...

Fender bender [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so on my way to class I am in a turn lane about to turn right when someone side swipes me. It turns out he has his own insurance company. Anyway, I was very nice to him as he was to me however in a nice way he says he thinks it was a no fault accident. Im not really sure why he thinks this....

Fender Bender [ 3 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey, I was visiting a friend in upstate NY. Once I got off the exit in Utica NY; I didn't see a car standing still in the middle of the RD. There was no lights. My Car Tapped the back of there's. We both have the same make Car. There was no damage to my car, and none to there's. I...

View more questions Search