Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Adding subpanel
    I have a 200A main panel in my garage and want to install a subpanel in my basement to feed 4 circuits (15 & 20 A). The best route I can find for the feeder wire is through the garage in conduit, then entering the basement through the concrete foundation. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I install a 100A main panel to use as my subpanel, then just use a 60A feeder breaker to supply it, in the end it's a 60A subpanel, correct?

2. What type/size wire should I use to feed the subpanel? (Assuming a 60A "feeder breaker" and a run of about 45')

2. What type/size of conduit should I use?

3. Any suggestions on how to handle the wiring at the point where I have to pass through the concrete foundation? To clarify, the floor in my garage is about a foot below the top of the foundation wall. So, I can drill directly through the wall into the basement. The problem is going to be drilling a large enough hole for the conduit. The subpanel will be located about 2 feet directly below where I pass through the foundation wall.

Thanks for any advice.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 01:33 PM
    1. Yes the sub is now only rated at 60 amps,subject to derating 80%, so actually 48 amp load is the max.

2.If you can do the entire run with conduit. Then use 3#6 stranded THHN/THWN rated each one colored black, red, and white, and 1#10 green.

3.1 inch PVC Schedule 40 is easy to install. There quite a few parts needed, but layout, measure, cut, and glue is basically the chore. Or you can use 1- 4 wire #4 SER Aluminum cable,the only issue with AL wire is to be sure the connections are done properly using anti oxidant compound. Bending PVC conduit, uses heat, is another whole discussion, let me know if you need to know.

4.My guess is there is drywall on the upper wall, that ends at the concrete. IF so the bottom approx 12 inch is a the wood framing of the floor over that basement. Look in the basement you are heading the wire to, and note the framing, may be anything from 8" to 12" joists. You should be able to easiy drill through this wood.

Be sure to isolate the neutral and the equipment ground at the sub panel, including all branch wiring.

Sep 29, 2005, 05:05 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I checked and, as you suggested, I can enter the basement through a floor joist rather than the concrete.

I think I will use the PVC conduit like you suggest. Can you describe how to heat and bend the PVC? I'll use fittings for all the connections and turns but there is a "jog" in the wall I'd rather just bend around. Where the 3rd stall meets the main garage, the 3rd stall wall is about 2" deeper than the main garage wall. As the conduit runs along the wall, it will need to go around that 2" and I figured on a long straight like that, a jog in the conduit (heat/bend) would be the best idea.

Thanks again.

Sep 29, 2005, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Be sure to isolate the neutral and the equipment ground at the sub panel, including all branch wiring.
    Do you mean to separate neutral and ground wiring on their own respective bus bars? Sorry, it's probably clear as day but I'd rather ask than be surprised when I go to wire up the subpanel. I bought a "main lug" panel rather than a full blown main panel. Will I need to purchase something further for the panel?

Thanks again.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 02:09 PM
    The panel will come with a neutral bar, you will also need an equipment ground bar.This will bolt directly to the panel's backbox.The panel may come with one, if not you need to buy it separately.

All the branch circuit neutrals (white wires) will go the neutral bar, which is insulated from the panel backbox. The panel may come with a green screw or a jumper wire. Do not use either. They are intended to bond the neutral bar only if the panel is a main panel.

Any green or bare wires coming back from the house circuits will need to go onto the equipment bar.
    Hope this helps to claify. Get back if you have anymore questions.

Oct 3, 2005, 08:19 AM
    Isolating neutral bus bars
    Ok, I picked up a Siemens main lug panel (convertible to main panel). Anyway, it has a grounding bar attached directly to the panel along one side. It also has 2 neutral bars on either side of where the breakers install and those are isolated from the panel by the plastic frame that holds all the components together. It looks like a main panel without the main breaker. Does my description of the ground and neutral bars make sense and is that what you were referring to?

There is a large green screw at the top of one of the neutral bars. A sticker in the box says to torque that screw to bond the neutral (I'm reciting from memory and don't recall exactly what it said). I'm thinking that I want to remove that screw and that it is only there if you were to convert the panel to a "main panel" in which case you would want the neutral bars to have a connection to the panel itself (bonded?). Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The panel will come with a neutral bar, you will also need an equipment ground bar.This will bolt directly to the panel's backbox.The panel may come with one, if not you need to buy it separately.

All the branch circuit neutrals (white wires) will go the the neutral bar, which is insulated from the panel backbox. The panel may come with a green screw or a jumper wire. Do not use either. They are intended to bond the neutral bar only if the panel is a main panel.

Any green or bare wires coming back from the house circuits will need to go onto the equipment bar.
    Hope this helps to claify. Get back if you have anymore questions.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Augy123
    Ok, I picked up a Siemens main lug panel (convertible to main panel). Anyway, it has a grounding bar attached directly to the panel along one side. It also has 2 neutral bars on either side of where the breakers install and those are isolated from the panel by the plastic frame that holds all the components together. It looks like a main panel without the main breaker. Does my description of the ground and neutral bars make sense and is that what you were refering to?

There is a large green screw at the top of one of the neutral bars. A sticker in the box says to torque that screw to bond the neutral (I'm reciting from memory and don't recall exactly what it said). I'm thinking that I want to remove that screw and that it is only there if you were to convert the panel to a "main panel" in which case you would want the neutral bars to have a connection to the panel itself (bonded?). Is this correct?
    This is correct and TK will echo this when he next gets on board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

60 AMP Subpanel Help [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to install a 60 amp subpanel. I plan to have a 60amp breaker in my main panel fed to a main lug subpanel. Questions: Can I use 6/3 Romex NM - the distance is about 65 feet? Can I use a 100amp main lug sub panel even though the main breaker is 60amps? I need four spaces in the...

Large subpanel off a 200 amp main [ 9 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace an older subpanel in a barn 200' from the main 200 amp panel. I have many questions; How can I get a 200 amp rated panel out in the barn, what kind of tap/connection would I have to use coming off 200 amp main, what size conductor would I need, is this even allowed by NEC?

Subpanel installation and wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am constructing a wood working shop that is about 40 feet from my cabin in NC. The plan is to feed 240v 30amp from the main panel using 10/3 grounding outdoor wire. A subpanel will be installed in the shop with breakers for lights and outlets. The shop will contain a sander, grinder, drill...

Adding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

In my breaker box for my pool pump, there is a GFI outlet. Would it be possible to daisy chain another GFI outlet off it? I am wanting to put an outlet about sixty feet from where the box is at by my pool.

Adding subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting my garage to a woodshop, so I need 220 service for the table saw and band saw, and potentially later the dust collector and compressor. Also I want to run a new circuit for lights, plus two 110 outlet circuits. That's a possible four 220 and three new 110 circuits. I've got a...

View more questions Search