Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Afniha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Science- chick
    Which part of the egg becomes the chick? What is the role of yolk in developing a chick?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 10:50 PM
    From the following search: egg development chicken yolk - Google Search

It's not hard to do the searches. You just have to use the right words.

From the following site. You might like to check out the site yourself since there is also more information there than what I have posted. Chicken Egg Development - EnchantedLearning.com

Egg and Embryo Development

The Formation of an Egg:

The Yolk: The chicken egg starts as an egg yolk inside a hen. A yolk (called an oocyte at this point) is produced by the hen's ovary in a process called ovulation.
    Fertilization: The yolk is released into the oviduct (a long, spiraling tube in the hen's reproductive system), where it can be fertilized internally (inside the hen) by a sperm.

The Egg White (albumin): The yolk continues down the oviduct (whether or not it is fertilized) and is covered with a membrane (called the vitelline membrane), structural fibers, and layers of albumin (the egg white). This part of the oviduct is called the magnus.

The Chalazae: As the egg goes down through the oviduct, it is continually rotating within the spiraling tube. This movement twists the structural fibers (called the chalazae), which form rope-like strands that anchor the yolk in the thick egg white. There are two chalazae anchoring each yolk, on opposite ends of the egg.

The Eggshell: The eggshell is deposited around the egg in the lower part of the oviduct of the hen, just before it is laid. The shell is made of calcite, a crystalline form of calcium carbonate.

This entire trip through the oviduct takes about one day.

Growth of the Embryo: The fertilized blastodisc (now called the blastoderm) grows and becomes the embryo. As the embryo grows, its primary food source is the yolk. Waste products (like urea) collect in a sack called the allantois. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide gas occurs through the eggshell; the chorion lines the inside surface of the egg and is connected to the blood vessels of the embryo.

The Incubation Period: The embryo develops inside the egg for 21 days (the incubation period), until a chick pecks its way out of its eggshell and is hatched.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My baby chick won't eat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi our chicken became a pround mum on the 11th of this month to 3 healthy chicks. Yesterday Sat in the morning I went to feed and water them and I found one laid on the floor as though she was dying So I took her indoors and made an incubator for her and drip fed water to her every half an hour...

Model chick has competition [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I need to know how to say: Damn you have a lot of cute girls u sure u want shoot with me?

Egg to chick [ 2 Answers ]

Which part of the Egg becomes the Chick? Is it the yoke or the white?

Milly Willy (rom com/chick flick) [ 1 Answers ]

Has anybody ever heard of a film called Milly Willy? Its about a girl that turns in to a boy? Can't remember much about it I just remember it being brilliant and I believe it was maybe late 70's early 80's... if so is it obtainable and where?:)

Cute chick right here! [ 11 Answers ]

I wnt my daughters to learn to learn to defend themselves for when the time comes they may have to. Is 5 and 6 yrs old okay? Is 29 too old to learn?

View more questions Search