Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jezikahluv Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Accident - no insurance - not registered - borrowed car
    HELP!! I was just involved in a car accident... but that's not what I need help with... I borrowed the car the day of the accident... I had a very important engagement to meet across town and it was a last minute favor from a friend... the thing is - my friend had just purchased the car and had not gotten any paperwork on it yet - meaning no registration, not even papers to prove that he owned the car , and no insurance...
    Well I made it to my engagement and was heading back home when I was in an accident - where there's no for sure way of telling who was at fault - now there was pretty severe damages to the other guys car because it was plastic and very little to my friend's because it was made of steel - Now my friend doesn't want me to give the other driver any of the car's info - he doesn't want to be involved in any way, shape, or form - and doesn't want the borrowed car involved either...
    Here's the question...
    WHAT ARE MY FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES?
    HOW MUCH TROUBLE AM I IN?
    CAN I GET MY LICENSE SUSPENDED?
    JAIL TIME?

Please if anything can be done to make the situation smoother on eachothers wallets,
    Let me know

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Well were the police not called. But unless you can get your check book out and pay everyone for all of the damage, you are basically really screwed.

The other person will sue you, or your friend will sue you, or both, your friend can sue the other driver if you can prove they are at fault.

You have to give the other driver your name and info, and insurance info

You are in serious trouble, normally if you don't have insurance, your license will be suspended until you have paid off all of the damges.

Most likely not jail time, but think big time fines.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Curious as to how your friend had not registered the car, and yet it had license plates on it? Whose plates were they? And you say he had no papers to prove he owns the car - not even a signed over title from the previous owner? Finally, it may be that your friend's insurance company may have you covered - insurance goes with the vehicle, and his insurance may cover newly-purchased vehicles for at least the first few days.
    jezikahluv Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 04:45 PM
    The police were NOT called - we exchanged info - my friend contacted the previous owner and was able to locate the paper work for registration and proof of ownership - but he's had it for about 2 months ( it was just sitting in the garage ) he bought it to restore it (it's an older car) - I've spoke with several friends and they are saying it's not my fault because the guy I hit was making a left hand turn crossing 2 lanes & I couldn't see him at all until his nose was already in front of me - I was going with the flow of traffic (approx. 35 - 40 mph) I slammed on the brakes and he continued to make his turn - basically I hit his passenger side front bumper with the driver's side front bumper of the car I was driving.
    I've never been in an accident before - the guy I hit has a track record (this is his 4th accident in 10 months)

I'm willing to take responsibility for my wrong doings as far as driving a car that was not currently registered (at least not to my friend yet) as well as driving without insurance - I don't want trouble for my friend - I want to be able to handle it - but the guy I hit had full coverage and I believe that due to the circumstances in the accident - he should be held accountable because he crossed traffic to make a left hand turn and he wasn't cautious with oncoming traffic

I don't know I'm scared and just need some advice on what I should do next -
    Do I need an Attorney??
    Am I losing my rights to repair the minimal damage done to my car just because I didn't have insurance??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 06:31 PM
    First you are going to have to tell where the car you had is at, and who owns it to the other insurance company. If it is the other persons fault, then this other persons insurance will also fix their car also.

Only the police can give you a ticket for no license, no insurance, no legal tag and so on. At this point, the police will not get invovled unless you don't give them the other car info.

An attorney for you is never a bad idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Car Accident, Which Insurance Company pays for it [ 1 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago I was in a car accident. I hit a tree but did not hit anyone else. The ar got ruined and I had to be taken to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. The car didn't belong to me but belonged to my boss. It got ruined but they don';t care about the car and they got a new one...

Car Accident W/o Insurance. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently in an accident and just got married and let my insurance lapse so I could get the discount of being a married person when I paid for it again. I was rearended by a woman and subsequently hit the car in front of me also. My car is basically totalled and I sustained a good...

2 car accident with no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with this. My husband was in a car accident where he rearended a woman's vehicle while entering a highway. The woman went to the hospital. My husband was not injured but both cars received bad damage. We were surprised to find out that we did not have coverage...

Accident with out insurance on my name [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was driving my mechanics vehicle as my car was in repair with him. I have a valid license and my mechanic's vehicle which I am driving is also insured but It does not have insurance on my name . I have insurance on my own car. I just hit a car though I slammed the brake . It was raining...

View more questions Search