Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymechi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 05:44 PM
    No power after thermostat replaced
    Ok... I know better... but since I was dealing with low voltage... I figured no harm... WRONG! :eek: I should have turned off the breaker when replacing my thermostat... enough said. I replaced my thermostat (simple comfort 3001) with a honeywell RTH6300b because the simple comfort display was jittering off and on, but still working. Anyway, when disconnecting the wires I noticed a small spark. :cool: DUH!. After replacing it with the honeywell, no power. I mean the display was there, but it has batteries so that's that. But no fan would come on. I then switched back to the old one (no batteries), and nothing. Not even a display. The wires out of the wall are red to R/RH,white to W,yellow to Y,green to G and blue to B. That's how it was connected to the old one as well... (the letters to the codes.) Connecting to the honeywell I did the same except that the blue wire, I was instructed by the manual to tape off because I have gas heat/ac. Not needed. My question is, blown transformer or is there a fuse that might have blown? Also location of both to check. Air handler I know, in the garage up high :o (oh boy)... but where abouts?
    Thanks, chuck
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2005, 06:41 PM
    The first step is to check for 24 volts between the red and blue wire. If it is dead, the transformer may be too unless it is protected by a fuse. The fuse is likely near the transformer, either in line, or on a nearby control board. They are usually in the furnace. Follow the red and blue wires back to it. One little spark shouldn't burn up the transformer. With luck, it is a fuse.

Sep 27, 2005, 08:10 PM
    Thanks, I'll try and locate to see if it is indeed a fuse (which I hope) and let you know!
    Chuck

Sep 28, 2005, 03:45 PM
    That was the ticket! Blown 3amp fuse on control board inside air handler.
    Thanks "LABMAN"... you r da man! :D chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power to thermostat [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I was trying to replace my old stat with a new programmble one. I had turned off the furnace before installing new one. But the new one didn't work and so, I put the old one back on. But the old one does not power now and display on the old stat does not come up. Can any one help me here...

Replaced thermostat - now no hear or a/c! [ 10 Answers ]

My 15-yr old thermostat has weird programming quirks that I got tired of so I bought a new one and installed it. I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and am quite sure that the wiring was correct. However, when I turned the breakers in my main house breaker panel back on neither...

Furnace won't stop blowing air - replaced the thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol U-29A that is probably about 8 years old. I don't when it started, but sometime over the summer it began acting up. The blower does not stop blowing air unless I turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker. The AC unit outside turns on and off through the thermostat, but the...

No power to thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a pool heater installed. The electrician installed it to the incorrect voltage. We found this out when we tried to power up the pool heater. Right after he came back and installed it to the correct voltage, the thermostat and heat pump to my house quit working. It is getting no...

No Power to Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

We have two electric central A/C units - one upstairs, one down. We discovered that the upstairs A/C unit was running 24/7 making the upstairs very cold (and a $680.00 electricity bill). The original Honeywell programmable thermostat was not shutting it off regardless of the room temp -vs-...

View more questions Search