Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackstiller Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Lock CD Writing And USB Drives
    Did any one answer simple question... is there any way to LOCK CD Writing & USB Drives without using... any kind of software... I m talking about programming in any language... help full if it is in Dot Net...

Waiting for reply...

Regards.
    Jack
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 19, 2007, 01:24 PM
    You mean lock as in like... encrypt what's on them, so nobody else can see it? Or lock a CD drive, like so it can't get ejected?

Sep 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    You mean lock as in like...encrypt what's on them, so nobody else can see it? Or lock a CD drive, like so it can't get ejected?

I just want to say that... after locking Drive... nobody can use that... even it is there... u can eject... drive... play movie and all kind of stuff related to play CD but don't have the permission of Writing any data... and I want to do that by Programming, not by using any kind of software... for assistance you can search a software... lock my drive... I will let you understand better...

Please help me...

Regards,
    Jack
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstiller
    nobody can use that....even it is there.....u can eject .....drive.....play movie and all kind of stuff related to play CD but dont have the permission of Writing any data.
    Uninstall any CD writing software and disable Microsoft's CD writing sewrvice (ImapiService)

Good luck with the USB issue, admins have been trying to figure that one out for a while since it could be a security risk in companies.

Sep 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Uninstall any CD writing software and disable Microsoft's CD writing sewrvice (ImapiService)

Good luck with the USB issue, admins have been trying to figure that one out for a while since it could be a security risk in companies.
    Yep... thank you for reply... well there is a software which actully hook the CD Writing service provided by Microsoft and lock that... then no CD writing software will able to write any kind of CD just give error like "Under Buffer Reader error" if Nero used.

But I don't know how to code that how to hook the service of the windows and lock it with password... can you please tell me... if you know... and abut USB the same is with the USB Drive... can anybody tell me how to programme that...

Wating for reply...

Regards,
    Jack
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Sep 21, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Registry Hack to Disable Writing to USB Drives :: the How-To Geek
    Works with XP SP2 and Vista. However if the other users have admin rights they can change it back.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    Registry Hack to Disable Writing to USB Drives :: the How-To Geek
    Works with XP SP2 and Vista. However if the other users have admin rights they can change it back.
    Cool find! But when I look at the registry entry and I wonder how it knows it's only for USB interfaces.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 21, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Actually the USB one is quite straightforward.
    You can disable them completely by using hardware profiles ;)
    Microsoft Corporation

Sep 21, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Actually the USB one is quite straightforward.
    You can disable them completely by using hardware profiles ;)
    Microsoft Corporation
    Nice, but how do you stop the user from selecting a different profile when they boot?
    If you only have one profile are the administrators or people in the admin group bound by that profile since it's set at boot time?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 21, 2007, 01:48 PM
    I haven't used profiles in a live environment so I have no idea, but as it is directly hardware related, admins need to reboot to re-enable the USB's.

Hey I covered this a while ago on my MSCE and as I haven't used it I've forgotten most of it ;)

Sep 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Here's a good thread on disabling write access to the CD/DVD drive:
    How to disable write access for CD/DVD drive? - microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin | Google Groups

NeedKarma's solution is also mentioned in there.

Sep 21, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Hi!

Thanks for reply..

actully... I tried all these but failed... I done the registry entry... but if any body whether he /she is guest he can remove by go to device manager... and delete the Usb interface... drive... this will put back USB ON... so... it didn't work... any other solution...

and the registry entry to remove / lock USB is :-

Go to : Run---Type Regedit----and then go to... "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\USBSTOR"

and change the value of "Start" to 1 to disable USB Drive and put 0 to enable USB Drive

Waiting for reply...

Jack
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
    You need to only enable your account to be able to edit the registry then, and password protect it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord. [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any...

USB drives stopped functioning [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My USB ports have stopped working. They are still listed under Device Manager, which says they are working properly. The problem started about the same time I started getting the following installation wizards at startup: - AVG7...

2 xp os on 2 drives [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 drives with xp on each drive. How do I remove the os on one drive without screwing up the other drive?

Drives [ 5 Answers ]

I have 4 drives shown in PC (c, d, e, g) not including cd drive or floppy drive. Is there a way that I can have my computer show 1 drive; c:/?? And let that drive have the total memory of all four combined

View more questions Search