Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EvilPrincess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Identifying a pinkish white larvae in my home
    I am trying to identify a new pest in my home - it's a pinkish white larvae with a dot at its head.

I live in Western Washington. The weather has just started cooling off for the fall here and in the past 3 days I have found 9 of these larvae, all but one of them on the ceiling of my laundry room. I have found 3 at a time, clinging to my ceiling. My laundry room has a door to the outside. My home is very clean and dry. I have bird food and cat food stored in the laundry room as well as potatoes, onions and garlic. When I found the bugs I threw out all of the vegetables and still the bugs are appearing.

This morning I caught the latest three intruders and sealed them in a tupperware dish. I used a toothpick to knock them off the ceiling into the dish and its seems almost like they have a web type substance that made them dangle from the ceiling before I got them into the container.

:confused: Can you tell me what these larvae looking pests might be?
    EvilPrincess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilPrincess
    I am trying to identify a new pest in my home - its a pinkish white larvae with a dot at its head.

I live in Western Washington. The weather has just started cooling off for the fall here and in the past 3 days I have found 9 of these larvae, all but one of them on the ceiling of my laundry room. I have found 3 at a time, clinging to my ceiling. My laundry room has a door to the outside. My home is very clean and dry. I have bird food and cat food stored in the laundry room as well as potatoes, onions and garlic. When I found the bugs I threw out all of the vegetables and still the bugs are appearing.

This morning I caught the latest three intruders and sealed them in a tupperware dish. I used a toothpick to knock them off the ceiling into the dish and its seems almost like they have a web type substance that made them dangle from the ceiling before I got them into the container.

:confused: Can you tell me what these larvae looking pests might be?
    I think I have answered my own question. I believe the larvae are Indian Meal Moths that originated from the wild bird seed.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Here is some additional information you might like to know.
    ---------------------------------
    http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/..._meal_moth.htm
    Indian Meal Moths are probably the most common pantry pest found in kitchens and pantries.

Adults of Indian meal moths have a wingspan of about 3/4" when at rest, the wings are folded together-held tightly together by the body .

The wing is a blend of two colors: front half of the wings-pale grey-pale tan, bottom half of the wings: a rust-bronze color

Larvae size: is 1/2", a dirty white-off white color, it can have green or pink hues.

They are nocturnal, flying a night... if disturbed during the flying, they will zig zag. They rest during the day in dark places.

They lay their eggs in food stuffs like: grains, grain products, dried food, dried fruit, powder milk, seeds, candy, chocolates, and specially dry pet foods.

Indian meal moths can take from 25-135 days for moths egg-egg development cycle to occur.

One moth can lay 100-400 eggs over 1-18 day period. Almost any thing in your pantry that is not in a "tin can" is suspect.

The larvae is what does the damage-feeding on these different food items, forming an extensive web type of substance over the food items that they infest.

Abundant webbing in infested materials is characteristic Of infestations by the Indian meal moth. Its larvae are often found far from infested foods because they usually crawl away from their foods to construct silken cocoons in which to pupate. The Clothes moth is a little different in that they have no distinctive markings, and the wing span is only 1/4th".

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS: INDIAN MEAL PANTRY MOTHS

Pheromone traps for the adult moths and residual insecticidal sprays.

Each trap comes with a pheromone packet, and a sticky interior area to trap the adults.

After the traps fill up with adult moths, replace the traps if necessary.

We highly suggest using a residual crack and crevice aerosol to spray the cracks and crevices

PERMA DUST

Or a liquid concentrates such as:

Tempo SC
    Conquer
    Demand CS

TEMPO , DEMAND OR CONQUER INSECTICIDES :ONLINE STORE

In private residences the pantry pest such as the Indian meal moth is usually brought in products from the grocery stores. It is usually just in one area, but can spill over into other areas.

Prevention and Sanitation:

Place exposed food in containers with tight-fitting lids .

Periodic cleaning of the shelves helps to prevent infestation of stored food products by pantry pests.
    Certain pantry pests need only small amounts of food to live and breed.

Some infestations of packaged food originate in the food-processing plant or warehouse.
    Broken packages should not be purchased, or should be exchanged for unbroken packages when discovered, for the chance of these being infested is greater than for perfectly sealed ones.

Do not mix old and new lots of foodstuffs.
    If the old material is infested, the pest will quickly invade the new.

If you are unsure about an item being infested, place it in a plastic bag where you will be able to catch anything that emerges.
    If you find the pantry pest accumulating in the bag, you know the foodstuff is contaminated and needs to be discarded.
    To insure any item is pest free, store it in these clear bags for at least a month. Sometimes it takes even longer for the adults to emerge.

Infestations are most likely to occur in packages that have been opened for the removal of a portion of the contents and then left unsealed for long periods.
    Some of the pests may find their way into other food packages, but even those in a single package may become so numerous that large numbers may find their way into every suitable material in the home, and will eventually crawl over floors, climb up walls, and gather about windows.

Clean old containers before filling them with fresh food. They may be contaminated and cause a new infestation.

Make sure that cabinets and storage units are tight and can be cleaned easily.

Store bulk materials, such as pet foods, in containers with tight-fitting lids.

Keep storage units dry. This is important because moisture favors the development of pantry pests; dryness discourages them.

Some pantry insects breed in the nests of rodents and insects and may migrate from these into homes. Eliminate any nests found in or near the home.

Pantry pests can also breed in rodent baits. Be sure to frequently check and discard infested baits.

Controlling Temperature:

When packages of food are found to be infested with moths or beetles, either low or high temperatures may be used to control the infestation. Insects are cold-blooded; their body temperatures closely follow that of their environment.

The most favorable temperature for most pantry pest is about 80°F. Above 95°F or below 60°F, reproduction and survival is greatly reduced.

When temperatures are lowered, insect activity decreases until all activity stops. The more quick the drop in temperature, the more quick the kill.

Although insects will be killed, their bodies will remain in the food unless sieved out.

An exposure of 2 to 3 days to temperatures of 5°F or lower kills the more susceptible stages (larvae and adults), but eggs require longer to kill (3 weeks).

An alternative is to freeze the food for a week, remove it from the freezer for a few days, and then refreeze it for another week.
    ---------------------------
    Attached Images

gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Firmbeliever must have mistakenly linked to the wrong adult moth picture as it is NOT an adult Indian meal moth.

This is an Indian meal moth adult: This image is from the Univ of Guelph, Ontario website, http://www.uoguelph.ca/pdc/Factsheet...anMealMoth.htm

Scroll down on this uga.edu domain website, http://www.uga.edu/rohanilab/Research/index.htm, for a drawing of Plodia interpunctella that looks nothing like the adult moth posted by FB.
    crich113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 05:04 PM
    I was searching for photo of the white larvae I have found recently in my kitchen and the photo on this site is identical.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Aug 27, 2008, 01:28 AM
    The larva that firmbeliever posted is properly identified as an Indian meal moth.
    Moloch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Indian meal moth is it. I just discovered an infestation (moths around the house and larvae on the ceiling) originating from a bag of bird seed.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 01:41 PM
    The birdseed needs to be disposed of, as it sounds like it was the primary infestation. You will want to check other dried grain products in your laundry room and adjacent rooms for secondary infestations. Don't forget to look closely at any decorative plant materials, as well.
    nicky111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Anyone else bring them into their home in a bag of Tesco porridge?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very light pinkish color when I wipe and I'm pregnant is this OK [ 3 Answers ]

Very light pinkish color when I wipe when I go to the bathroom is this normal I'm 3 months pregnant as of yesterday.

Visualizes/describes home with white picket fence [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the old movie where the guy is on an empty lot describing the home he wants, complete with white picket fence? Is it "It's a Wonderful Life?"

Light reddish/pinkish spotting for period [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I'm not sure what I should do now. I'm not sure if my body is doing weird things or could I be pregnant. First I'm almost 35, next Monday, and I had sex about 3-4 weeks ago, I think it was 3, unprotected using the famous pull out method. Over the last 2 weeks I have been extremely nausous,...

Help me identify this larvae-like bug [ 0 Answers ]

I've found this trying to sneak into my house, can someone helpme identify it? :confused: http://www.cercadonet.com/larvae_bug.jpg Thanks in advance

View more questions Search