Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kerilynh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Travel expenses
    My DH is now self-employed and I am so confused with all the tax stuff. He gets $20 a day per diem through the company. Now the crew that he is on for contracting is my uncle (superintendent), my DH and my cousin. They work out of state all week and are home on weekends. My question is this. My uncle is renting a car weekly to travel to and from the work sites. It is in his name, however we are taking money out of DH's check and giving money to my uncle as an expense of renting a car. Can we claim that on our taxes? And how do we prove that we gave him that money for the rental car? Also how will mileage work since they are splitting the rental by three. Do we split the mileage by three also in regards to claiming that on our taxes? And how do we prove mileage? Can we just keep a written log? I have been doing that with mileage from mapquest. Is that sufficient or what do we need for that? And last question, since he gets a per diem in his check weekly, how does that work on our taxes? Thanks for the help. Hopefully this didn't confuse anyone either.

Keri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Keri:

You CANNOT claim the mileage because you do NOT own the car, but you should be able to claim one-third of the rental costs. Keep a written log and have your uncle annotate that the log is accurate.

The per diem is counted as income on the Schedule C along with the contract pay.
    kerilynh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Ok so the times that they used our truck which has been a few before it broke down, we can claim the mileage? One trip alone was over 2200 miles. We can claim 100% of that right? How do we prove that? Just with a written log?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Yes, you CAN claim the mileage on the truck. All you need is the log.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Travel expenses deduction for L1 visa (less than 1 year) [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, My sister, Indian citizen worked for WMC direct (Burbank) from Aug 12th 2005 to June 12th 2006 with an L1 visa. According to publication 519, pg 28, Chapter 5, if a temporary assignment lasts less than 1 year, ordinary and necessary travel expenses as well as lodging(rent paid...

Executor of Will - Travel Expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is Executrix of her mother's will. My mother lives in California; my grandmother resided in NY. When my grandmother died, my mother had to fly to NY and stay in NY in order to deal with her estate. There was no fee mentioned in the will for the Executor, but does my mother, as...

Divorce - travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in the State of Rhode Island. My ex has since moved to PA and I now live in New York City. Currently, I take care of all travel and travel expenses during child visitation. I want my ex to provide half. Would a judge typically award this?

Ncp moving out of state, travel expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

I have full physical custody but my ex may be moving out of state and wants me to pay for half of plane tickets if he does. I won't stop him from moving but I don't feel it is fair for me to have to pay half the expense as he wants her to fly to visit quite often. Does anyone know how CA courts...

View more questions Search