Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Sep 26, 2005, 09:52 PM
    What are your opinions on"puppy mills"?
    I am curious to hear opinions of people on this site on the subject of "PUPPY MILLS"? Do you support them, or do you believe that they should be shut down and the owners punished?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2005, 07:47 AM
    I try not to use that sort of language around ladies. It would be better if I didn't use it at all.
    nataliebear21 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Puppy mills
    I hate puppy mills, I think they are harmful to animals and should be shut down. The pregnant dogs are kept pregnant until their uterus just gives out and then they are killed. The puppies are raised without mothers and have been know to have genetic diseases due to irresponsible breeding. Some of these diseases are very painful including hip displasia and narrow esophagi. Not to mention, deafness and behavior problems. I think there are enough puppies in this world that need happy homes without have factories spitting out more.

Nataliebear
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2005, 08:02 PM
    It's good this thread is started because the truth needs come out and the word spread.
    I can't be involved though, because I don't have a heart or stomach for it.

Sep 30, 2005, 10:20 PM
    Spread the word on puppy mills!educate everyone so"they will know!"
    I wish i had all of the names and addresses of all of the puppy/dog and kitten/cat mills around, and that i was BIG, MEAN, BAD, VIOLENT, AGGRESSIVE, RUTHLESS, - AND AFTER MY VISITING THEM, THEY WOULD NEVER EVER DARE OPEN UP ANOTHER ONE!! :mad:

Sep 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
    Puppy And Kitten Mill Owners
    Labman: They deserve worse :mad: than bad language! I am am not a violent nor aggressive type of person, but when it comes to any living creature, when it comes to puppy and kitten mill owners :mad: , then - I DEFINITELY CAN be! We do not know each other, except via these sites, but I am the type of person, that very easily could rescue an animal over a person! Some people who read this may be :eek: shocked and astounded by my words, but this is how I feel, and I am definitely not embaressed or ashamed!
    Columbus Top Dogs Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2007, 04:56 AM
    As a member of the Central Ohio companion animal rescue community, I've been working very diligently with animal advocates throughout the U.S. in addressing the horrendous conditions of dog auctions and puppy mills in OH. For more information on our efforts, I invite you to visit our website Home and read the article "New bill targets puppy mills, auctions" in the Winter, 2007 issue of The Animal
    Insider - http://www.animal-outreach.org/progr...tter-01-07.pdf.

It is my firm belief that until the public truly understands and appreciates the cruel aspect not to mention the corruption and consumer fraud - connected with "dealing dogs", puppy mills will continue to generate millions of dollars for their breeders and distributors.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 06:46 AM
    I will be a happy person the day they are illegal! I do not give my money to pet stores that sell puppys. I write them letters and let them know as long as they are in the puppy selling business they will not get 1 cent from me! I do go in and take a look around and turn them into the SPCA or health dept. if I see things that do not look right, dirty cages, no water , dirty floors, etc. I take them out and play with them so that I can see how they walk and look for sores or fear of hand. If I see anything that concerns me I call the SPCA. Also If I go in and a puppy has been there to long I question that as well esp. I have seen mixed breed puppies being over priced and being there for months at a time only to be moved to another one of their stores. I know a few rescue places that will go in and buy what they can... it is so sad because it is a no win situation. You leave them there and who knows what happens and you buy them and you just help to keep them open. Hopefully, our new Governor in Ohio will be of help, to the plight of the innocent dogs and cats, since he adopted a puppy mill dog. I just urge everyone, anywhere you see dogs being sold, do not be afraid to look around and pay attention and make a phone call or write a letter. The more people stand out against this issue, the better chance we have for change. If you have a car, bumper stickers and magnets opposing puppy mills, chaining dogs and the ones that advocate spay/neuter,. etc are an excellent way to get the message out. T-shirts are great as well. Once you see a message the seed is planted :) There are many little ways that each and everyone of us can help if we set our minds and hearts to it. No little effort is to small.
    laurenmichele77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    I am curious to hear opinions of people on this site on the subject of "PUPPY MILLS"? Do you support them, or do you believe that they should be shut down and the owners punished?
    I think they should be shut down and the owners should be punished because this is a type of animal abuse.. people who love animals don't want to see this happening to poor animals.. and it shouldn't be happening.. we need to do something about it.. but I don't know what to do..
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 17, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I tell people who buy from pet stores that their puppy or kitten was bred by a person who just doesn't care, period. If they cared about what happened to their animals they would screen the adopters, not sell them to a store where they will be handed over to anyone with the cash.
    The pet store doesn't ask if they will be cherished companions, bait for fighting dogs or dinner for a snake.
    Needless to say, I am not very popular with local pet stores or backyard breeders.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 18, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I strongly disagree with puppy mills. They take the dogs to ealy from there parents and usually the dogs are not socialized properly. They are contained in horrible conditions and are usually not taken care of and catch many diseases. And what about the mother dogs, they are used to breed and nothing else, when they can not breed anymore, they're deemed useless and euthanized or given to a shelter.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2008, 11:11 PM
    My opinion is that puppy mills should be outlawed on every continent on earth! Also, pet stores should be banned from selling puppies, unless they are doing so in cooperation with the SPCA/ Humane Society. There are too many animals that have to die needlessly, because someone feels the need to make a buck at their expense!

They are living creatures, and they would give their lives for us! They help the blind, the deaf, the disabled, they can even detect cancer to save our lives. Why wouldn't we want to do anything we could to save theirs? They comfort the elderly, they save our lives in fires, they track down criminals to keep us safe, and they are better friends to the children, than their human friends these days, for the most part.

I believe every kid NEEDS to have a pet, and be taught a lesson about responsibility, and the unconditional love that is received, when you are a loving and compassionate human being, and when you see the loving face of your pet. That might even teach our young people these days, more respect, responsibility and compassion!

If anyone wants to question a dogs loyalty, just watch the video of the American Soldier who befriended an abused dog in Iraq, and the dog travelled miles just to find him when they had to move their camp. That dog is now with his best friend at home. As far as I'm concerned, if doesn't bring tears to your eyes, then you are someone without a heart. :)
    pumpkin_cat Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 20, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Puppy mills are horrible places! They just take away from all of the animals in shelters that have been abused, abandoned, etc. The poor mother dogs there are in labor nonstop! It's just not fair! We should start a campaign against it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

View more questions Search