Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Odor coming from fireplace/chimney
    I put this here because heating - fireplace - really didn't know where else to go.

I've been reading on the internet about chimneys emitting oder and it all describes a different smell than I'm smelling.

My fire place (which has not been used for at least 4 years) has been leaking when it rains for some time now - BTW fluke is closed.
    We don't use it and the water is just dripping through the inside of the fireplace not causing any visible water damage.
    So, I didn't think much of it.
    I started smelling this musky odor in the last 4 days that keeps getting stronger.
    I first thought it was a water leak or something under the house,
    But everything is dry and fine there.
    I'm guessing now the odor is due to the rain coming into the chimney that drips in the fireplace since
    The only room with the oder is the one with the fireplace in it.
    Can this cause a musky oder?
    My husband says no that this isn't a problem and we don't need to do anything about it.
    Is this a problem since there is an odor? Or do fireplaces/chimneys not give off musky odors?

I know this seems like a dumb question but I need some backing up before I can call anyone out here to check it out.
    Thanks for any opinions and advice.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
    First of all never leave water drip into a fireplace. Fix that problem. Fireplaces contain many toxic chemicals left over from burning wood. Normally this is not a problem but with water leaking into the fireplace it can be a big one. The water wets the dry creosote in the chimney and causes the odor. When a fireplace is dry the odor will not be present or be of a very minor
    Consequence.

Have a professional come and clean the chimney and while they are there cleaning they may see the cause of the leak. If not they will have to search to find the leak and fix it.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Thank you hvac for confirming my worries.
    I've called a full service chimney sweeping company
    And waiting for their call back to set up an appointment.
    LEILA007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Sep 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    I put this here because heating - fireplace - really didn't know where else to go.

I've been reading on the internet about chimneys emitting oder and it all describes a different smell than I'm smelling.

My fire place (which has not been used for at least 4 years) has been leaking when it rains for some time now - BTW fluke is closed.
    We don't use it and the water is just dripping through the inside of the fireplace not causing any visible water damage.
    So, I didn't think much of it.
    I started smelling this musky odor in the last 4 days that keeps getting stronger.
    I first thought it was a water leak or something under the house,
    but everything is dry and fine there.
    I'm guessing now the odor is due to the rain coming into the chimney that drips in the fireplace since
    the only room with the oder is the one with the fireplace in it.
    Can this cause a musky oder?
    My husband says no that this isn't a problem and we don't need to do anything about it.
    Is this a problem since there is an odor? Or do fireplaces/chimneys not give off musky odors?

I know this seems like a dumb question but I need some backing up before I can call anyone out here to check it out.
    Thanks for any opinions and advice.
    A chiminey need to be cleand 1 per yr . I would start there. Call up a chimney cleaner which you will need in any case. Where I'm from there no more than 150-200max I'm sure if there's a problem he will know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor coming from dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one month old whirlpool dryer. Suddenly about two weeks ago I began having this horrible odor when it would heat up to dry my clothes. I finally got the sears people out to check it and they cleaned a few things and looked it over. They thought it would be fine, but last night I tried...

Black specks coming from wood stove chimney [ 4 Answers ]

We heat our 5 year old bungalow with an air tight wood stove, with electric baseboard as backup. The stove has been in almost constant use since November as it is very cold where we live. We burn hardwood exclusively except for softwood kindling to start the fire should it go out. The pipe from...

Fireplace insert- chimney [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We recently had our chimney cleaned, costing $160. We have a fireplace insert. The person who cleaned it said our chimney was not safe without a liner-it does have flute. He estimated us $1300 ot put one in and said I don't feel comfortable with you using it. I called my insurance and...

HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on.. Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove... Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon. My husband went up on the roof...

View more questions Search