Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hazel3350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Severe financial distress, 80 yr old
    My mother is 80 yrs old, and just had to retire from her job with the school district, she worked in the cafeteria.
    This past December and January she tried to find some way to supplement her SS benefits, she knew she had to take her retirement at the end of May due to her health. She has COPD, and is a heart patient. She responded to some type of mail ad for a work at home business. She was conned into having her credit cards maxed out and was told "don't worry, we will take care of you cc bills, pay them off and your credit will remain good. She ended up with approximately $14,000.00 being ran up on hers cards, she has received not one penny of income, her credit is ruined, this company, located in Az and connected to a group of attorneys in FL refuse to refund any of her money. With help from her bank we were able to stop the monthly draft, which was supposed to be taking care of her cc debt, but they won't return what they drafted, nothing has been paid on her debt. Is there anyone who can help us by maybe filing suit against these companies? My mom will be able to make her next two mortgage payments and then she is concerned about actually losing her home!
    My mom has always worked hard, taken care of an assortment of people over the years, she has buried her husband (5/2000) and her youngest child, my sister, 5/2006. Together we try to take care of my younger brother who is severely disabled due to a stroke, heart surgery, and a broken neck suffered in an auto accident.
    I am her third child now 57 years old, I have custody of one of my grandkids, an 8 yr old grandson with ADHD. I have had legal custody since he was about 3 yrs old. I also take care of an 81 yr old gentleman whose only income is his SS. I have been told that I could get some type of compensation as a caregiver but I can't seem to find out how to go about that.
    I can't work a regular job due to trying to take care of my mom, my grandson, my brother, and Mr. Bill. I clean house for a couple of people and do yard work when I can to earn a littl money.
    Any help, good solid advice or whatever would truly be appreciated.
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

May 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
    There is a lot going on within your family. You may want to look into reverse mortgages, which in essence provide cash flow (depending on the amount reversed) based on your needs You sit down and figure what your needs are compute equity in the house and decide how much of the equity you are willing to use for reverse mortgage purposes,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Managing Financial and Non-financial Resources [ 5 Answers ]

Question One -Describe the things you should consider when putting together a budget for an Organization or department -How you would control the spending of the budget once it had been agreed? Question TWO: -How would you manage (control the use of) a non-financial resources? -What...

Virgin in distress! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I'm in a very confusing situation at the moment. It all started during my second semester of college when a close friend and I started getting closer physically, at first it was weird (I've never hooked up with anyone but my serious ex-boyfriend) and we promised ourselves it would never happen...

Outside outlet - won't reset - Christmas distress [ 1 Answers ]

Help Made a mistake and left the outside Christmas lights plugged in and it rained for several hours. House is only 3 yrs old however I do not see a GFI reset on either the front or back exterior outlets. No breaker is tripped. How and where do I find the reset for these outlets. (Manufacturer is...

New technology distress.. Remote Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP!! I am connecting a new ceiling fan.. but it has a remote. So it looks so much complicated. I would like to connect the red wire so it can have the same function as my old one.. but where to I connect it to? There is a blue, orange, white, and black wire that goes to the fan itself......

Gran in Distress [ 11 Answers ]

Son and wife now divorced. He lives in Florida, ex-wife and 1 yr old son in W. Virginia. Gran in Florida wants to go and see grandson but ex-dau-in-law says No. Do I have visitation rights?

View more questions Search