Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bethbas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Double carpet charges from lardlord!
    I rented an apartment for 4 yrs. When I moved in, the carpet was brand new. After 4 yrs of use, the only damage to the (poorly installed) carpet other than normal wear and tear was a hall corner torn up from vacuuming. I expected to be charged for replacing that area. However, the landlord replaced the entire apts carpet and charged me $350. She then charged me an additional $150 for carpet cleaning fees! This seems absurd to charge me for replacing carpet AND cleaning it. My agreement said that if I didn't pay to have the carpets cleaned upon vacating then she would pay for it and it would be deducted from the deposit. I completely understood that and was OK with that. My agreement said that if I didn't get the carpets cleaned myself and she found someone to do it that I wouldn't be charged anything more than what she paid. After doing research locally, I feel I was overcharged for the carpet cleaning fee and also was never provided with a receipt showing what she paid for the cleaning. I am mainly concerned about being charged for new carpet AND carpet cleaning for carpet that was totally replaced. Any help would be appreciated.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 08:45 AM
    I can see your frustration. What size unit are we talking about here? From the dollar amounts you listed I would agree that $150 seems a bit steep for carpet cleaning. Not outrageous, but it can definitely be done for less than that. As far as $350 for new carpet... did it specifically state that ALL of the carpet was replaced? Even for the cheapest carpet $350 would maybe get you one room, installed.

Just out of curiosity, what was the amount of your security deposit? Did you get anything back, or did they charges coincidentally add up to the exact amount of your security deposit? Has a new tenant moved into the unit yet?

I'd call them, be very cordial and professional initially. Ask exactly which carpet in the unit was replaced. Tell them that you would simply like copies of receipts and/or to view the new carpet installed in the unit. See what kind of response you get. If they agree to give you receipts, or better yet, agree to adjust the amount, send them a letter right after you get off the phone stating, "per our phone conversation on Wed., Sept. 19.....blah, blah, blah." That way they'll know you're serious.

The carpet cleaning charges you probably can't do much about because you agreed to leave it up to them by not having it done yourself. The rest you are definitely right to question. I just think you'll "catch more bees with honey", so to speak. If you go at them all angry you probably won't get anywhere.

Other than agreeably reaching a settlement of some sort with them, taking them to court would be your only other recourse to try to get your money back. You would have to prove that they made unnecessary repairs (tough to do unless you have pictures or something - maybe a witness would work) or prove that they did NOT actually replace what they said they did (I guess you'd have to get in the unit for this.)

Hope something in there helps...
    Karla in TX
    LEILA007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Sep 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bethbas
    I rented an apartment for 4 yrs. When I moved in, the carpet was brand new. After 4 yrs of use, the only damage to the (poorly installed) carpet other than normal wear and tear was a hall corner torn up from vacuuming. I expected to be charged for replacing that area. However, the landlord replaced the entire apts carpet and charged me $350. She then charged me an additional $150 for carpet cleaning fees! This seems absurd to charge me for replacing carpet AND cleaning it. My agreement said that if I didn't pay to have the carpets cleaned upon vacating then she would pay for it and it would be deducted from the deposit. I completely understood that and was OK with that. My agreement said that if I didn't get the carpets cleaned myself and she found someone to do it that I wouldn't be charged anything more than what she paid. After doing research locally, I feel I was overcharged for the carpet cleaning fee and also was never provided with a receipt showing what she paid for the cleaning. I am mainly concerned about being charged for new carpet AND carpet cleaning for carpet that was totally replaced. Any help would be appreciated.
    You should not be responseible for normal wear and tear. This is for judge judy lol. Serious you should have never had to pay for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get this out of my carpet? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I was doing laundry the other day, just bought a brand new bottle of laundry detergent and it spilt all over my brand new light brown carpet. (it was Tide detergent). All it did was leave one big soapy blue and white mess. Is there a magic way I can get it out, or most of it anyway? Any...

Changing of Carpet [ 4 Answers ]

In Colorado, does a landlord have to change the carpet of an apartment that was previously rented by persons with a pet before the next tenant can move in?

New carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had new carpet installed in my home and each time I vacuum it, the vacuum leaves fuz on the carpet. Is this normal for new carpet or is it a problem with my vacuum, which is also new. We have low pile carpet and the vacuum is set on medium height.

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search