Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlw611 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Backup in bathtub, toilet leaking, possible washing machine link
    This evening after I flushed the toilet I heard a couple of gurgle sounds then noticed water on the bathroom floor. I tried flushing the toilet again and the water came to the top without going down. There was also sewage at the bottom of the bathtub. I was also doing laundry at the time and turned the washing machine off. I called a plumber. A couple of hours later, still waiting on the plumber, I attempted to flush the toilet again. It flushed without incident. I flushed a couple more times, no problem. I cleaned the shower and canceled the plumber, thinking whatever the blockage was, it worked itself out. I turned the washing machine back on... within 5 - 10 minutes I heard the gurgling sound again, water again on the floor and sewage back in the shower. We have city water. My house is 30 years old; we've lived here for 3 without any plumbing issues. I only have issues in the bathroom. The bathroom sink is not leaking or backing up. There is no water around the washing machine. There is no backup in the kitchen.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Follow up: Last night I decided to take a shower thinking everything was fine. After about 5 min the bathtub began filling up with water (mayber an inch at the most). I got out of the shower and let the water drain (it drained, but slowly). While the bathtub was draining, I flushed the toilet to see what would happen. I heard noise coming from the shower (which I never heard before only the toilet made noise). Water filled to the top of the toilet, but did not overflow. There was a small of amount of backup in the shower. The washing machine was not running during any of this. I'm calling a plumber this morning. To Kayakinggirl, we don't have a basement. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but thanks for responding. Good luck on your situation!
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
    We're having the same problem-the main trap in the basement from the plumbing trunk line is lower than the pipe to the sewer line and that is what is causing the backup in our house. My husband is raising the trap.
    rlw611 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlw611
    This evening after I flushed the toilet I heard a couple of gurgle sounds then noticed water on the bathroom floor. I tried flushing the toilet again and the water came to the top without going down. There was also sewage at the bottom of the bathtub. I was also doing laundry at the time and turned the washing machine off. I called a plumber. A couple of hours later, still waiting on the plumber, I attempted to flush the toilet again. It flushed without incident. I flushed a couple more times, no problem. I cleaned the shower and canceled the plumber, thinking whatever the blockage was, it worked itself out. I turned the washing machine back on...within 5 - 10 minutes I heard the gurgling sound again, water again on the floor and sewage back in the shower. We have city water. My house is 30 years old; we've lived here for 3 without any plumbing issues. I only have issues in the bathroom. The bathroom sink is not leaking or backing up. There is no water around the washing machine. There is no backup in the kitchen.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Follow up: Last night I decided to take a shower thinking everything was fine. After about 5 min the bathtub began filling up with water (mayber an inch at the most). I got out of the shower and let the water drain (it drained, but slowly). While the bathtub was draining, I flushed the toilet to see what would happen. I heard noise coming from the shower (which I never heard before only the toilet made noise). Water filled to the top of the toilet, but did not overflow. There was a small of amount of backup in the shower. The washing machine was not running during any of this. I'm calling a plumber this morning. To Kayakinggirl, we don't have a basement. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but thanks for responding. Good luck on your situation!
    We had a plumber finally come out this afternoon and it appears the problem is fixed! The reason for our plumbing issues was roots. He broke all the roots up and everything is working perfectly. He only charged $150!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

Washing Machine backup [ 1 Answers ]

It started with when I used my washing machine the water backed up into my bathtub. Now when I shower or wash dishes and still when I use the washing machine it backs up into my bath tub. I used drano and it helps a little bit but it is still backing up. Can you help?

Washing machine backup [ 10 Answers ]

I purchased a new washing machine recently and have had the problem of it overflowing the drain pipe I have read about new washing machines having stronger pumps which may be my problem .here is what I have though I have a 2" pvc drain line going from my washing machine directly to my main drian...

Plumbing backup - washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding strange plumbing backup involving my washing machine and adjacent bathroom. When the washing machine or bathroom tub drains water, the toilet and sink in the same bathroom gurgle. Occasionally, soapy foam from the washing machine backs up into the toilet. If you flush...

Bathtub Backup & Leaking ceiling! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. Recently, we had a problem with our upstairs bathroom. I think one of our kids may have pushed a small plastic toy down the bathtub plughole. Now, when the toilet flushes, water fills to the brim and slowly goes down. Any attempts to plunge the toilet results in brown "toilet" water backing up...

View more questions Search