Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedric Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Furnace blower
    I have a older home with a older furnace. I started it up this fall and the blower continues to run after the house has warmed and the themostat has turned off. The blower runs and runs, blowing cool air. To stop it I have to turn off the main switch to the furnace. What do you think the problem is?? Please help, it's getting cold!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2005, 11:11 AM
    Most likely it is the relay that switches it on and off. Follow the wires back from the blower motor to a little box. If you give it a tap, and the blower quits, you can be sure it is the problem. Shut the power off, note where which wires connect, and remove it. Take it to an electrical supply store and let them match it up.

It could also be the limit switch. After the heat shuts off, the blower continues until the furnace is cooled down and the limit switch opens. Again, the electrical supply should have a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a replacement furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a cape cod style home. I currently have a lennox gas furnace Which is 18 years old and the electronic ignition is going bad. I have been looking at the following: Lennox (80 percent) Carrier, and Goodman. I only plan to stay in the home for 3 to 5 yrs. More. The house is 52 yrs. Old....

Gas furnace runs two cycles [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?

Air/Furnance Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Our air conditioning was working fine until last week. Now after it is on several hours the blower quits running. The air conditioner is still running. I shut the whole system off for an hour or so and the blower on the furnace comes back on. We had the relay switch replaced last winter when...

Furnace making noise when it start (sound like a generator) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello experts, I have a Lennox Signature series furnace which is about 9 years old. Since last window, it make a very loud noise when it start. The noise sounds like a power generator making humming sound. I would to have some idea where to look at before calling technician. Thank you.

Furnace coil blocked? [ 2 Answers ]

Our furnace heater coil is only 5 yrs old. We have little hot water pressure throughout the house. We have been told the coil element in our tankless system is blocked and we need a replacement coil. It is going to cost at least $650. An option is buying a separate water heater for $1600. We are...

View more questions Search