Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimisce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Unidentifiable source of odor
    There is an unpleasant odor in my home and I can not find the source of the smell. While it seems to be concentrated in the area near the sump pump, the smell is not coming from the sump... plumber and contractor have already looked at it. The experts have said they do not think it is a sewer gas smell. After that we found animal remains and feces in the isolation around the room. We have removed it but the smell still has not abated... so not sure that that was the source of the smell either.

Is there any odor expert or business that tracks these kinds of things? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to address the odor problem? I am stumped!
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Could have a dead animal(s) in the walls or in the rafters, depending on the construction. Had that - my Terminex guy told me it took a couple or 3 weeks for a dead rat/squirrel and 6-8 weeks for a possum to finish decomposing/stop the rotten smell.
    Obviously, the bigger the critter the long it will take to stop with the odor.

Now as to the feces and stuff - depenidng on how long and how much was there, it can stay odoriferous for an incredibly long time, even after the physical evidence has been removed.

Best way to get the odor out is to wash the concrete down with a strong solution of ammonia detergent. Or you can use Febreze or Odorout or some such but the odor is strong and takes a while to dissapate. Sometimes on concrete the only way to get rid of the odor is to paint over the stained area to seal the odor in as moisture/humidiy seems to activate it again.

Please to rate if helpful.
    kimisce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimisce
    There is an unpleasant odor in my home and I can not find the source of the smell. While it seems to be concentrated in the area near the sump pump, the smell is not coming from the sump...plumber and contractor have already looked at it. The experts have said they do not think it is a sewer gas smell. After that we found animal remains and feces in the isolation around the room. We have removed it but the smell still has not abated...so not sure that that was the source of the smell either.

Is there any odor expert or business that tracks these kinds of things? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to address the odor problem? I am stumped!
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am in the process of trying Kilz on the wood now. I am just not sure this is the source of the smell. Apparently the smell has been around for years but I just never noticed it while I live in the house.. I have now moved out and the house is vacant while it is on the market... it is only now that the smell has become obvious.

Thanks again for taking the time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

THE UNIDENTIFIABLE SONG: never met ANYONE who can tell me who sings it [ 17 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP!!! :confused: Came across this song one day on iMesh; listed as "Best of Me" by Jeff Buckley. It's not Jeff Buckley, but I can't for the LIFE of me figure out who it is. Hard to understand the lyrics, but they start something like: Said good-night all my friends Yeah you got...

Unidentifiable pill [ 2 Answers ]

I found a pill in my kids prescription bottle that is broken and the markings have become unrecognizable. Does anyone know how I can have this pill tested to find out what it is? Thanks - Sarah

Unidentifiable 'Urine Type' Odor [ 1 Answers ]

After purchasing a new condo we have a pervasive animal urine tye odor that drifts throughout our house. We have had multiple inspectors in to no avail. No Urine traces anywhere, we've used blacklight, infared, moisture readers, cut into our floor to look around and a number of other things. We're...

Alimony Source [ 1 Answers ]

Is a bonus from one's employer considered salary or income, legally?

Open Source [ 1 Answers ]

Microsoft said on Wednesday that the U.S. software giant would offer licenses for some of its source code in a bid to comply with antitrust requirements set by the European Commission.Yipee. This of course does not mean,it's time to open the champagne bottles,phone a "rival",and say how much is...

View more questions Search