Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    househunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Holding a Mortgage for someone.

We were in the process of putting our house on the market when I ran into a friend (more an aquaintance)... she & her family are looking to get out of their rental and buy something but they cannot go through a bank for a loan due to their religion. They do have a very large amount to give as a down payment, so it seems like a good deal. We were told about "holding the mortgage" and do realize that we have to consult & work with a real estate lawyer. Just wanted other opinions of all the pros & cons of doing so for this family. In the meantime, while we are "holding the mortgage", would we be able to get another mortgage to buy another house for ourselves? Thanks for all advice!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
    What religion prohibits one from getting a loan?

I would imagine that if you are carrying a mortgage it would be difficult to get one for yourself.

What is to stop them for ceasing payments on the mortgage and leaving you holding the bag for the payments and potentially ruining your credit. If they have a substantial amount of money for the down payment then I suppose they can finish saving up the rest and buy a home later on.

Something about this screams DO NOT DO IT.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Sep 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Their religion prevents them from getting a loan from a bank but not from you? Hmmmm...

Don't do it. You could still get a loan but you would have to produce a copy of the mortgage with these people and probably show that y ou have been receiving the payments for at least a year before the bank would count that income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding a mortgage [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a two family in Jersey City and own it free and clear. I would like to if anyone know's the advantages or disadvantages of holding a mortgage. Thank You

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

Holding a mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What are the procedures for holding a mortgage?

Holding a mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of holding a mortgage for a home buyer? The buyer is my daughter and son-in-law. Can they mortgage half the price and I hold the mortgage for the other half? What are the advantages and disadvantages to me? What are the advantages and disadvantages to...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

View more questions Search