Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christine van Duuren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Puppy on Heat
    I have a 10 month old Dachshund puppy who has just gone into heat. I have a 2-year old male Dachshund. I am trying to prevent her from getting pregnant this young. I was just informed by a friend that it is dangerous for a dog to get pregnant on their first heat-cycle. If she does get pregnant, I need someone to tell me what is dangerous, and what steps I could take to ensure that this pregnancy goes safe and smoothly. Please get back to me urgently
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 07:13 AM
    They will go to lengths you won't believe to get together. Choosing to keep an intact female carries an obligation to protect her from accidental breedings. You have a responsibility to stay one step ahead of them. Likely this means keeping one or the other in a crate the second, third and fourth weeks after she starts her discharge to make sure she doesn't get bred. I really get tired of the people coming her with weak excuses for letting their under age female get bred. No, preventing it isn't easy. People need to think about this stuff at 6 months when they fail to have her spayed.

Breeding quality dogs is a tough, expensive project. It is almost impossible to make money doing it right. For more discussion on this, see Woodhaven Labradors Articles

The dog world would be better off if you called the vet today and made an appointment to have him neutered. How carefully have you checked out his line for problems such a allergies and back problems? In what way is he an outstanding member of the breed able to sire quality puppies? You could mention spaying her too, but the vet would likely want to put off now that she is in heat.

You only recently learned it is dangerous for for a female to be bred in her first heat cycle? Let mention we don't need more breeders, especially ones that haven't given significant amount of time learning what all it takes to do it right or don't care to. Many of the questions here that take up time I might better spend elsewhere are from people that have bought poorly bred or cared for puppies and are struggling with housebreaking and other issues that don't need to be so difficult. I doubt there are good numbers on the millions of dogs we slaughter for lack of homes on how many come from accidental breedings, puppy mills, and backyard breeders.
    LuvmyRoxy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Well I have to say that I have read that when a pup gets pregnant to young she has immature eggs, also we need to realize that they are still babies themselves, it's like a 12 or 13yr old getting pregnant after her first cycle... Not a good Idea right... I have a little puppy, I am not sure of her age but she is believed to be around 6-7 months I had scheduled her to get spayed and then she went into heat... The vet will still do the surgery but they just say it is a little more costly... I would say that if you are not a breeder then you should consider getting your girl spayed... If you are, well to be honest you should just keep them separated at all times... you realize she will be in heat for 6-8 weeks on her first cycle... That's quite some time...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

GFA Heat; Poor Heating in Apt - Heat is Trapped Near the Ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

In a nutshell: The warm-air registers in my apt are at the very top of the ten foot high walls. Hot air does not circulate properly to heat my 1-bedroom apartment. Details: Based on what I know about the basics of energy, heat rises. And I can't for the life of me understand who thought...

Heat runs with ac and even auto kicks on emg heat [ 1 Answers ]

(Coleman Evcon) Some how the hot and cold on the inside thermostat switched.how is that possible?and how do I fix it?

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search