Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    exrenter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Pet Deposits
    I am trying to find some information on pet deposits in Virginia. I rented a house for about 6 months and they just took my entire deposit to replace the carpet in the house. First off, there was nothing wrong with it. When we did the final inspection they even said how nice the carpet looked and how clean the house and carpet was. They even commented on how clean the house smelled. And wanted the names of the companies I used.

Now, I get a letter stating that they took my deposit because of pet stains. (hmm, they were never there before) My dog is house trained and didn't even go in the house.

So, can they legally take my full deposit for something related to pets? Isn't that what the pet deposit is for?

Can they really charge me to replace a whole house of carpet when the carpet wasn't even new?

That house reaked of smoke when I moved in. It was disgusting. When I left it was cleaner than it was when I moved in. Please help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Did you get anything signed off during the walk through? Do you have pictures to show how the house looked?

What is going to happen now, is you will have to sue them for the deposit. They will come to court with a representative of their carpet company or a an affadavits from them that will testify to the need to replace the carpet. If you can prove it was unnecessary you will win, but you will have to prove it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security deposits/pet deposits - Texas tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This involves a lease that went month to month and verbal agreements. During tenants stay, they broke several personal items (sculptures, fountain) on the property and brought in a second dog. In the written lease, there is nothing abuot pets. I gave them erbal permission to have one...

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and when we initially rented our home we were required to put down a $2000 non-refundable pet deposit. In the second year, the landlord asked for an additional $995 non-refundable pet deposit. My question is this, was it legal for her to demand this second deposit or can I...

Security Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question.. state is New Hampshire. Does anyone know if a security deposit ( by law) should be put into an account?I am aware that a unit of 6 or more is required an account,I want to know if it applies for a 2 unit also.

View more questions Search