Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truffles Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Threading my Treadle
    I am having trouble threading my Raymond treadle. I followed the directions yet the thread keeps breaking when I am sewing. It's supposed to wrap under this flat piece and then up into the hook. That's where my trouble is- going under that flat piece, it doesn't look right. What am I doing wrong? Thank you, Truffles
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Hey, catchy title!

I found some pictures of a Raymond sewing machine manual on the following site. Maybe there is a picture there that might be of help to you. I hope that there is. But, I'm not sure if this is the same machine about which you are asking.

New Raymond Manual pictures from antiques photos on webshots
    fireftnchick Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2007, 06:44 AM
    There is an excellent group called Treadleon (treadleon.net) that promotes the use and restoration of treadle sewing machines. It might be worth asking someone on the site about your problem. I am betting someone has a Raymond and may be able to assist you.

There is also a Yahoo group treadlesewingmachines that may be of assistance as well.

Just a few generic tips:

Follow the threading pattern in the manual. If you think you have done this correctly, check for debris and old oil and grease build up in the thread path. I have used netting between tension discs to clear out the thread path. Also check to make sure all the parts in the thread path are there and are working properly by comparing them to the pictures in the manual or other pictures of the same model and age machine.
    Use new, quality thread and a newly wound bobbin. Thread does have an expiration date. Old thread can cause a lot of headaches. Cheap thread can cause problems like lint build up, leading to thread breaks.
    Be sure you have the correct needle and correct size needle for the fabric you are sewing. Try a new one. Your point may be dull or the needle may have burrs on it.
    Also check the needle plate for burrs. If the presser foot has been left down without protection on the needle plate, burrs can be created. Run your finger across the area or a cotton swab. If it pulls cotton off the swab, there may be an issue.

Good luck!

If none of this solves your problem, someone with a Raymond treadle may be able to give more troubleshooting options.
    truffles Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
    fireftnchick you are incredible. I will try it all! You are very helpful! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Velox antique treadle sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

My sister has a Velox treadle sewing machine. I haven't been able to find anything about it on the web. I have run out of places to look. Any suggestions on where to find some info?

Raymond treadle sewing machine [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! This treadle opens with a sliding chain (inside the top part of the cabinet) and pulls up the sewing machine with one smooth movement. This is unlike any other treadle I've seen where you simply open the top and pull up the machine. Is this feature unique to the Raymond Treadle and does this...

Reverse threading on mower blades [ 1 Answers ]

Are Blades on lawnmowers Murray select riding mower specifically, reverse threaded. Icannot get the nuts off to change the blades. Thank you

Pipe threading [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to unscrew a nut in a cleanout line, and it won't budge in the counter-clockwise direction, but will Move in the clockwise direction. Are these pipes oppositely threaded, or is it simply a question of forces and mechanical advantage? Thanks, Roy

View more questions Search