Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bicky73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
    My daughter wants to live with me
    How old does she have to be to tell the judge that she wants to live with me?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 10:02 PM
    I don't think you provided enough information for a reasonable answer

I'm sure with more info there are many answers for you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Most courts allow a child as young as 8 ( some younger) to testify in court.

But no matter how old, it is not just a matter of what the child wants,

You will have to file a motion in court asking for a change in custody. You will present other proof that the child would be better off with you, and the child gets to testify. Then the other party gets to tell the judge why this is a bad idea.

The judge will look at all evidence and decide what is best for the child, often this is not what the child wants but what is in the best interest of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

My daughter wants to live with me [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter currently lives with her father in Ohio. I reside in Indiana. She is 12 1/2 and hates her stepmother. Her stepmother has treated her awful and her father now sides with the stepmom. She has went from an honor student to failling grades. Will a judge let her make the decision where...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search