Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abhi_13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2005, 11:02 PM
    Moniter Problem
    Hey Guys,

My moniter suddenly got this problem. It has all the vertical black lines moving too fast and continues because of which the display is fully blured. It is kind of continuous extensive flickering which makes viewing impossible.

This thing was intermitent when the problem started two days back. But when I tried to start my PC yesterday, the problem was persistent and I could not look into the screen even once.

My display settings for the moniter are:
    Moniter: Proview 15", 4 years old!
    Resolution: 1280*1024
    32bit color
    Screen refresh rate 85Hertz.

Would highly appretiate your suggestions/expertise.

Thanks!
    Abhi...
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 26, 2005, 12:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi_13
    Hey Guys,

My moniter suddenly got this problem. It has all the vertical black lines moving too fast and continues because of which the display is fully blured. It is kind of continuous extensive flickering which makes viewing impossible.

This thing was intermitent when the problem started two days back. But when I tried to start my pc yesterday, the problem was persistant and I could not look into the screen even once.

My display settings for the moniter are:
    Moniter: Proview 15", 4 years old!
    Resolution: 1280*1024
    32bit color
    Screen refresh rate 85Hertz.

Would highly appretiate your suggestions/expertise.

Thanks!
    Abhi...
    Seriously, buy a new replacement. You've got your money's worth if you had it for 4 years. Trying to fix will be more trouble and it may end up costing you more than buying new.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 26, 2005, 12:48 AM
    Drop your screen resolution and/or refresh rate. You'll probably find one that works - I tend to start at the bottom (640x480) and work my way up!

If you can't do this using the current screen, boot into safe mode (press F5 or F8 during startup to get straight in or the boot menu respectively. This will allow you to make the change and reboot normally.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2005, 05:11 AM
    Moniter
    Hi,
    I would first try the other answer, of changing the monitor refresh rate. Do you have an "Optimum" option?
    If not, then try the lower rates, reboot, and continue increasing the refresh rate. Re-booting insures the configurations' changes have been done.
    If that doesn't work, I would consider buying a new monitor.
    I suggest Walmart, with possibly a Microtek brand LDC monitor. Great monitor.
    Gives more room at the computer's workstation, or desk. An LCD monitor only takes us about 6 to 8 inches of depth.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    abhi_13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 11:32 PM
    Thanks!
    Hey guys!

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually the problem was due to erosion of some soldering. I got a mechanic to renew few solderings and the moniter is working fine now. It also did not cost much. I forgot to mention in my last mail that I am from India... service is cheap here and it just took me < $7 to get my monitor working again :cool:

Thanks

Abhi...
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 28, 2005, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi_13
    Hey guys!!

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually the problem was due to erosion of some soldering. I got a mechanic to renew few solderings and the moniter is working fine now. It also did not cost much. I forgot to mention in my last mail that I am from India... service is cheap here and it just took me < $7 to get my monitor working again :cool:

Thanks

Abhi...
    That's great!

In California, it would have been cheaper to buy a new one due to high labor cost. If my monitor breaks, I will ship to India for repair. Just kidding.
    :D :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Moniter standby [ 14 Answers ]

I decided to clean my heat sync and fans before I attempted to unlock my Athlon to make sure that the cooling I got was sufficient. I removed all the IDE cables and unplugged all the power cables, took my motherboard out of the case so I could get at things more easily. Then I detached the sync...

View more questions Search