Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mzandrews26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Illegally locked out
    I was illegally locked out of my apartment for 3 days with no place to and in the process had something illegally removed out of my apartment without motice or my permission and I want to know do I have a civil lawsuit at hand
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
    If the landlord locked you out of your apartment without following the proper eviction procedures. Then, yes, you are golden. At least with the sparse information you've provided. What state do you live in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
    With the very limited info given, yes you have a case, if you were really illegally locked out, and properrly removed illegally, you have a case.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mzandrews26
    i was illegally locked out of my apartment for 3 days with no place to and in the process had something illegally removed out of my apartment without motice or my permission and i want to know do i have a civil lawsuit at hand
    I'd like to know what state you live in?

In Texas (and probably other states, I'd imagine)there is such a thing as a lock-out procedure when the tenant hasn't paid rent. It's designed to basically force a face-to-face meeting when the landlord comes to unlock the property. There are very strict guidelines that need to be followed when doing one.

Also, there is a process where landlords can seize property as a lien against unpaid rent. Again, very specific rules need to be followed.

So, where are you located? Do you have a written lease, and if so what does it say regarding these matters? If the LL didn't leave you any notices or follow any type of rules when attempting these proceedures then sure, you could sue them.

Karla in TX
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 11:38 AM
    A tip, the more you put into a question the better the advice you will get in return. As noted, based only on the bare facts you provided, you would have a case. But there is clearly much more to this story. If you fill in the blanks we can give you some much better advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I go about reporting someone who is here illegally? [ 11 Answers ]

This woman is from jordan. She came here on a visa that is now expired, she has no social security card, no identification other than an international drivers license. I need some advise on how I can go about reporting her to immigration to get her deported. She's caused a lot of problems for me...

Illegally in us [ 2 Answers ]

How can I report someone in the us illegally

Someone illegally filed my child [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do? Can I find out who filed my child and how can I prevent this from happening again?

View more questions Search